Two Weeks Later

*Reader's POV*

Over the last two weeks me and Carl became inseparable, not like in a romantic kinda way but in a, he's my best friend hurt him and I hurt you, kinda way. Trent and Beth say nothings going on between the two of them but they're kind of touchy feely for just friends. Michonne and I have really bonded almost to the point that she's like a mother to me. Glen and Maggie are kind of like that cool aunt and uncle. It's amazing that you can meet these complete strangers and consider them family in only two weeks. Declan talks to Carl, Beth, Micha, and sometimes Lizzie. He hasn't asked about his mom yet, nor have I answered Carl's question about what my life was like before, but he didn't pry.
•••
I was walking through the prison halls when Declan ran up and jumped into my arms. I grunt at the impact.

"Your getting to big to do this." I chuckle. He giggled and jumped down. My smile faded as I look down at him and realize I'll have to tell him at some point.

"You okay?" Carl asked. I jump, forgetting that Carl was there too.

"Y-yeah I'm fine." I answer as I start walking back to my room. Carl follows and we sit on my bed, our backs against the wall and our feet hanging off the side.

"Hey (y/n)."

"Yes Carl?"

"What does a vegetarian walker eat?" He asked.

"Say the punchline, " I sigh.

"Grains." He says with emphasis. I roll my eyes and chuckled. Suddenly Declan walked into the cell and climbed up onto my lap. He looked at me with a serious expression.

"What's up bud?" I wonder nervously.

"I'm not going to see mommy again, am I?" He asked but it was more of a statement. I tense and clear my throat but when I go to talk, nothing comes out. I simply nod, "Is she one of those monsters?" he wonders with tears in his eyes.

"N-no. No she's somewhere better than here." I cough out. Tears streamed down his face now as I hug him close, "I'm sorry." I whisper. Carl looks at me with sympathy and leaves us alone.

*time skip brought to you by pudding*

I sat in the watch tower looking out at all the walkers surrounding the fence, thinking about how they all use to be people. They all once had a family and now they're dead. They're family had to go through the pain of losing them only to find out that to survive they'd have to kill them again. It's terrible really, but now there just obstacles, a challenge to survive. Survival of the fittest, you either kill or be killed and that was that.