"Get him, get him!" screamed Umbridge, but her remaining helper seemed highly reluctant to go within reach of Hagrid's fists. Indeed, he was backing away so fast he tripped over one of his unconscious colleagues and fell over. Hagrid had turned and begun to run with Fang still hung around his neck; Umbridge sent one last Stunning Spell after him but it missed, and Hagrid, running full-pelt toward the distant gates, disappeared into the darkness.

There was a long minute's quivering silence, everybody gazing open mouthed into the grounds. Then Professor Tofty's voice said feebly, "Um... five minutes to go, everybody..."

Delilah was desperate for the end of the exam, and rushed the last few constellations on her star chart. When it came at last she and Draco forced their telescopes haphazardly back into their holders and dashed back down the spiral staircase. None of the students were going to bed — they were all talking loudly and excitedly at the foot of the stairs about what they had witnessed.

"That evil woman!" gasped Hermione, who seemed to be having difficulty talking due to rage. "Trying to sneak up on Hagrid in the dead of night!"

"She clearly wanted to avoid another scene like Trelawney's," said Ernie Macmillan sagely, squeezing over to join them.

"Hagrid did well, didn't he?" said Ron, who looked more alarmed than impressed. "How come all the spells bounced off him?"

"It'll be his giant blood," said Hermione shakily. "It's very hard to Stun a giant, they're like trolls, really tough.... But poor Professor McGonagall.... Four Stunners straight in the chest, and she's not exactly young, is she?"

"Dreadful, dreadful," said Ernie, shaking his head pompously, reminding Delilah of Percy Weasley. "Well, I'm off to bed.... 'Night, all..."

People started drifting away, still talking excitedly about what they had just seen.

"Can you believe it?" Delilah asked as she started back to the common room with Draco and Daphne.

He shook his head.

"I hope McGonagall's alright. Four stunning spells to the chest...," Daphne murmured.

"Madam Pomfrey hasn't failed us yet, I doubt she will now."

They walked in silence, all three of them too absorbed in their own thoughts to talk.

When they got to the common room, Delilah was surprised to see that it wasn't full, she had thought that the commotion would have woken everyone up. Then again, they were in the dungeons and the lake would muffle the sounds from the grounds.

She sat down, Draco and Daphne on either side.

"How are we supposed to sleep now?" he said. "We're too full of adrenaline."

No one had an answer for him.

The next morning news of what had happened spread through the school faster than a niffler searching for gold. Sadly the fifth years had other things to worry about.

The final exam, History of Magic, took place that afternoon. She wanted to go to bed, but she needed to study. Thankfully Daphne agreed to help, though Delilah regretted asking the moment they started, as she liked to ramble about it. Thankfully the exams weren't too far away, so she was able to convince Daphne to do the shortened versions.

The fifth years entered the Great Hall at two o'clock and took their places in front of their overturned examination papers. Delilah felt exhausted. She just wanted this to be over so that she could go and sleep.

"Turn over your papers," said Professor Marchbanks from the front of the Hall, flicking over the giant hourglass. "You may begin...."

Delilah started answering the questions, guessing when she didn't know the answer and making up more than a few names.

About halfway through the test Harry fell from his desk, screaming.

Professor Tofty helped him up and started taking him outside, despite his protests.

Delilah glanced at the hourglass. There were only a few minutes left. She quickly rushed the last few questions, barely giving any details, and just as she stopped writing Professor Marchbank said, "Times up, turn your papers over."

She waved her wand and all the papers came flying to the front of the room.

Delilah headed out, found Hermione and whispered, "Please tell Harry to feel better for me. I would but you know how our... relationship has been recently."

Hermione subtly nodded, turning to Ron, starting to talk with him. Delilah walked to Draco, easily spotting his pale hair.

"How'd you do?" she asked.

"Alright, I remembered most of the dates and events. You?"

"Horrid, I almost fell asleep countless times. Did you know that Pavarti Patil's hair sometimes glimmers with gold when she moves? It's very mesmerizing."

"I didn't know that."

"Yeah," she said through a yawn. "It's no wonder she's one of the prettiest girls in our year."

"Not the prettiest," Draco said, nudging her as he grinned sleepily.

Delilah smiled.

They walked to the common room. They got good seats by the fire. They snuggled together, and soon enough the warmth lolled Delilah asleep.