Chapter 19

The week until Christmas passed slowly. Delilah spent most of her time practicing spells, working on her potions notebook, writing to Draco, and visiting Hagrid, who had yet to tell her where his injuries were coming from.

"Come on Hagrid, it needs to stop," she pleaded one evening. "If you keep getting injured like this, you'll die."

"I won't die," Hagrid insisted, rolling his eyes.

"How do I know that? Please at least tell me where they're coming from, I swear on the River Styx I won't tell anyone without your permission."

Hagrid's brow creased.

"The what river?"

"Just something from Greek Mythology, it's basically an unbreakable vow. So please tell me Hagrid."

He looked up at the ceiling, as if wishing he could vanish into thin air.

"Fine, but yeh need to promise no' ter tell a soul."

Delilah nodded.

"I promise, Hagrid. As long as it isn't another dragon."

He sighed dreamily and started to stare into space.

"Hagrid?" Delilah said, reminding him she was there.

He took a sip of tea before continuing.

"Oh, righ'. I sup'ose it star'ed during me trip with Olympe. Yeh know what happened. Except, me brother was there. He is a runt see, so they picked on him a lot. So I brough' him back. He wasn't too happy at firs', but I'm training him. Eventually he'll be me assistant."

Delilah stared at him. He was serious, but... how?

"I get that he's your brother," she started, "but shouldn't you be focusing on not getting thrown out?"

Hagrid smiled, his black eyes crinkling.

"I'll be fine. Yeh've already helped me with it." He glanced outside. "It's almost time fer lunch. Yeh should be headin' back up to the castle."

"Aren't you coming?"

Hagrid glanced at the forest and shook his head.

"No, I'll be comin' up la'er."

Delilah sighed. Why did Hagrid have to be so stubborn?

"Just try not to get any more injuries, alright?"

He nodded and trudged back up to the castle.

Most of the teachers had gone over break, but a few remained. Professors McGonagall, Snape, Umbridge, Hagrid, and Trawlaney, the crazy divination teacher, stayed along with Dumbledore.

Delilah quickly ate a sandwich, and then walked up to McGonagall.

"Professor McGonagall," Delilah started. "After lunch can we talk in your office? I have some questions about the essay."

McGonagall raised an eyebrow but nodded.

"Afterwards it will be fine."

Delilah's shoulders relaxed.

"Thanks professor."

She headed back to the Slytherin table and finished eating lunch. Just before it was time to end, Delilah headed to her common room and grabbed her school bag after putting the presents inside.

She got to her office before McGonagall. Delilah walked around once or twice before McGonagall showed up.

She unlocked her door and let Delilah in, closing it behind them.