Chapter 23

During the aftermath a lot of people asked Delilah about what it was like under the lake. She mainly ignored them, only telling the full story to Draco, Daphne, and Lyra.

Hermione had it worse. At least after a bit people left Delilah alone, but Hermione kept getting teased about being what Krum would miss most. It got so bad that Delilah had to intervene multiple times and scare the idiots away.

As March approached, Harry still didn't talk to her, despite saving her from the lake. It was fine. She didn't care. At least, that's what she kept telling herself.

The weather became drier, but cruel winds skinned their hands and faces every time they went out onto the grounds. The winds kept blowing the owls off course, causing delays in the post. Delilah normally wouldn't have cared, she didn't get that much mail anyway, but she was hoping an article about a certain bewitched journalist would show up.

She was disappointed. Instead, there was an article about... Hermione? What had she done to tick off Rita? Well, it must have been bad, because the article was... well... ridiculous.

Harry Potter's Secret Heartache

A boy like no other, perhaps — yet a boy suffering all the usual pangs of adolescence, writes Rita Skeeter. Deprived of love since the tragic demise of his parents, fourteen-year-old Harry Potter thought he had found solace in his steady girlfriend at Hogwarts, Muggle-born Hermione Granger. Little did he know that he would shortly be suffering yet another emotional blow in a life already littered with personal loss.

Miss Granger, a plain but ambitious girl, seems to have a taste for famous wizards that Harry alone cannot satisfy. Since the arrival at Hogwarts of Viktor Krum, Bulgarian Seeker and hero of the last World Quidditch Cup, Miss Granger has been toying with both boys' affections. Krum, who is openly smitten with the devious Miss Granger, has already invited her to visit him in Bulgaria over the summer holidays, and insists that he has "never felt this way about any other girl."

However, it might not be Miss Granger's doubtful natural charms that have captured these unfortunate boys' interest.

"She's really ugly," says Pansy Parkinson, a pretty and vivacious fourth-year student, "but she'd be well up to making a Love Potion, she's quite brainy. I think that's how she's doing it."

Love Potions are, of course, banned at Hogwarts, and no doubt Albus Dumbledore will want to investigate these claims. In the meantime, Harry Potter's well-wishers must hope that, next time, he bestows his heart on a worthier candidate.

Delilah had to stifle her laughter. It was completely and utterly ridiculous, and anyone who actually knew them would know that Harry and Hermione were just friends. But the problem was that most of the world didn't know them. Hermione would have to be careful. Delilah would check on her later during the last class of the day, double Potions.

It finally came, but the Gryffindors were nowhere to be seen. Delilah and Draco stood in a corner, watching Pansy and the others reread the article.

A minute later the Gryffindors showed up. Pansy, honestly how Delilah used to hang out with that jerk, and Blaise moved forward.

"There they are, there they are!" Pansy giggled as the Slytherins broke apart. "You might find something to interest you in there, Granger!" Pansy said loudly, and she threw the magazine, Witch Weekly, at Hermione, who caught it, looking startled.

At that moment, the dungeon door opened, and Snape beckoned them all inside.

"Have they really not read it?" Delilah wondered to herself.

"I guess not," Draco replied, making Delilah flinch. She had forgotten he was there.

All the Slytherins, even Delilah, watched as Hermione, who was sitting in the back with Harry and Ron.