2

MIRAMAR, CALIF. FIGHTERTOWN U.S.A

"How did Harry take the news?" Spades asks teasingly as she and Ace walk through the building to their classroom at Top Gun.

"A lot more heartbroken than I expected him to be," Ace answers with a sigh while shaking her head. "I just can't help that I have this affect on men." Spades laughs which causes Ace to laugh as well despite the serious tone she used.

"I can't wait for the day when a man has that affect on you," Spades teases as Ace playfully shoves her before they enter the classroom, sitting in the back since the rest of the seats were taken.

"During Korea, the Navy kill ratio was 12-to-1," Jester explains as he turns to face the Top Gun class, after playing a video on the big screen. Ace barely pays attention as she doodles in the notepad she had brought to take notes on.

"We shot down 12 of their jets for every one of ours. During Vietnam, the ratio fell to 3-to-1." A pilot, with the call sign of Iceman, twirls a pen in his fingers which causes Spades to roll her eyes while another guy smokes a cigarette.

Ace and Spades have been in the air with Iceman and his RIO, Slider, before and to say things didn't go well is an understatement. Iceman believes that Ace is too dangerous of a pilot to be in the air, let alone the Navy.

"Our pilots became dependent upon missiles. They had lost some of their dogfighting skills." A pilot known as Maverick and his RIO, Goose, both chew gum as they sit in the front row.

"Now Top Gun was created to teach A.C.M. Air Combat Maneuvering. Dogfighting. By the end of Vietnam, that ratio was back up to 12-to-1," Jester continues to explain as he slightly paces in front of the class before coming to a stop. "Blinds, please."

The window blinds are opened to allow light into the room, causing Ace to slide her aviators on to block out some of the light.

"Now, I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce you to our commanding officer at Top Gun. The very first man to win the Top Gun trophy. You will not find a finer fighter pilot anywhere in the world. Commander Mike Metcalf. Callsign, Viper."

"Gentleman and ladies," Viper says as he walks to the front where Jester is, causing most of the men to turn back to look at Ace and Spades. "You are the top one percent of all naval aviators."

Ace and Spades wave at the men with smirks on their faces as Viper turns to face the pilots. Ace makes eye contact with Iceman before discreetly flipping him off.

"The elite. The best of the best. We'll make you better." Iceman rolls his eyes before he turns around and starts staring at Maverick. "You'll fly at least two combat missions a day, attend classes in between, and evaluations of your performance. Now, on each combat sequence, you're gonna meet a different challenge."

Iceman starts twirling his pen again which hits up against his ring, causing Maverick to look back at him before Iceman lightly smirks as he purposely hits the pen on his ring.

"Every encounter is gonna be much more difficult. We're gonna teach you to fly the F-14 right to the edge of the envelope, faster than you've ever flown before and more dangerous."

"You can count Ice out then," Spades whispers to Ace, just loud enough for Iceman to hear. Iceman turns to glare at the girls before Ace pretends to blow him a kiss while Spades has a turn flipping him off.

"Now, we don't make policy here, gentlemen. Elected officials, civilians do that," Viper says as he starts making his way to the back of the room.

Iceman turns to smirk at Maverick, who had looked back to see where Viper was going. Maverick turns back to the front before looking back at Viper over his other shoulder, causing him to finally see Ace and Spades.

"We are instruments of that policy. And although we're not at war, we must always act as though we are at war. The tip of the spear..." Maverick is shocked to see the two women but knew they had to be good since they are at Top Gun. Ace slides her sunglasses up to show Viper that she is paying attention to him, only for her to lock eyes with Maverick. "Best be sharp."

"What are you doing?" Goose asks as he leans over to Maverick, who is in a staring battle with a smirking Ace.

"I'm just wondering who's the best," Maverick answers Goose with a sly smirk as he looks over at his RIO, causing Ace to win.

"In case some of you wonder who the best is," Viper says as he stares at a plaque on the wall. "They're up here on this plaque on the wall. The best driver and his RIO from each class has his name on it." Viper starts walking back up to the front of the class.

"And they have the option to come back here to be Top Gun instructors." Viper quickly turns to face Maverick, in an attempt to catch him off guard. "You think your name's gonna be on that plaque?"

"Yes, sir," Maverick answers him with a slight smirk, causing Iceman and Slider to quietly laugh while Ace leans forward in her seat, interested in what the pilot would say or do.

"That's pretty arrogant considering the company you're in," Viper says as he looks around at the class.

"Yes, sir," Maverick says with a nod which causes Viper to nod, impressed.

"I like that in a pilot," Viper says with a slight smile before slightly pacing. "Just remember, when it's over out there, we're all on the same team. Gentlemen, this school is about combat. There are no points for second place." Maverick smirks. "Dismissed."

"Nice going," Goose tells Maverick as he stands up, knowing that Maverick just put a target on their backs.

"The plaque for the alternates is down in the ladies' room," Iceman taunts as Maverick and Goose walk past him, causing Goose to grab onto Maverick's shoulders as he lets out a loud, sarcastic laugh.

"So, I guess I should get used to seeing all of your names a lot," Ace says with a teasing smirk, causing Maverick to smile at her while Iceman sends her a death glare which Maverick notices.