022. mother and son

Start from the beginning

Meredith picks up Charlie.

When they get to the hospital, Addison is already on a warpath. She's already made several interns cry and Charlie thinks that no doubt it'll be more by the end of the day. Charlie has managed to avoid her wife for most of the day, until she needs a consult. She begs and prays that Addison wasn't on the maternity floor so that she didn't have to get her but as luck would have it...she's the only one around.

"I need a consult," Charlie says, chart in hand. Addison ignores her. "Addison, I have a kid that might have ovarian cancer, can I have aconsult or not?" Her wife turns around and silently takes the chart from her hands and walks off. Charlie sighs, that was not how it was meant to go.

She gets caught up in the ER with some things by the time she's done it's nearly 2 hours later. Charlie heads up to the Ped's wing, passing the OR board on the way and stops when she sees her kid's name, next to Addison's.

"Why is my cancer kid on the OR board?" She calls out to the floor, everyone is silent. "Hello? Anyone?? That's my patient?"Charlie looks around, no one wants to speak up. Charlie storms to the OR; Addison was in there, with Alex.

"Why wasn't I told about my patient being taken for surgery?" Charlie asks, and her wife doesn't reply.

"I'll come and find you after, okay?" Alex speaks up with a small nod and Charlie just rolls her eyes and leaves.

Alex comes and finds her and explains the situation. "You were busy in the ER and she didn't want to disturb you."

"Don't lie for my wife, Alex." Charlie retorts. "This was my surgery, I asked for a consult and she fucking stole it from me."

"Charlie," Alex gently says to her, trying to get her to calm down. "Just talk to her, okay?" He says and Charlie nods her head.

Charlie tries to talk to Addison, however Addison does not want to talk to her.

"I just don't get why you stole my surgery." She says and Addison is silent. "Is this whole thing because I didn't finish you off last night?" Addison clenches her jaw and takes a deep breath in; that struck a nerve.

"I'm staying here tonight, I have charts to catch up on." Addison says, turning around and walking away.

"Can I have the car then?" Charlie calls out, she gets ignored.

She ends up walking home. It starts to rain. She doesn't have an umbrella.

"Why are you so wet?" Clark asks her as he's sat in the living room, Red by his side.

"I walked."

"Is mom mad at you?" He asks her as she comes downstairs, Eli in her arms and dressed in clean dry clothes.

"Don't worry about it buddy, okay?" Charlie says to him with a small smile.

It's the same the very next day. Addison is still upset and still on a warpath and Charlie manages to avoid all that until Addison pages her to the Attendings lounge.

"Do you have any idea what I've been feeling the past 2 days, I have been humiliated and you don't seem to care." She says and Charlie is just staring at her wife. "I swear to god Charlotte, my patience is thin with you right now."

"God, you're hot when you're mad." She smirks and Addison starts to cry and then suddenly she's frantically packing her bag.

"Addison," Charlie says, trying to reassure and comfort her wife. Addison furiously wipes away the tears that start to fall. Charlie reaches out for her wife and places a gentle reassuring hand on her arm. Addison shoves it away.