It’s so endearing and Y/n once again wonders what she did in an earlier life to deserve a person like Sana.

-

Y/n smiles at her mom when she opens the door and she smiles back twice as brightly, stepping outside to hug Y/n. She has to lean up to reach her, so Y/n leans down to make it easier for she to wrap her arms around her neck.

She kisses her cheek. “I missed you, sweetheart.”

“I missed you too, mom.” Y/n mumbles, letting her hug her as long as she wants to. It helps her tame her anxiety about what’s coming up anyway. “You look good.” She smiles once she pulls away.

“So do you.” She pats her cheek lovingly and tells her to go inside.

“Y/n?” Chaeyoung sticks her head out from the railing upstairs and starts grinning from ear to ear when Y/n waves up at her. She comes running down the stair and barrels right into Y/n’s chest, hugging her like they haven’t seen each other in years.

Y/n laughs, hugging her back awkwardly. She might have gotten better at all this stuff but that doesn’t mean it’s become easy all of a sudden.

“How are things?” Y/n whispers, one arm wrapped around Chaeyoung’s shoulders while they follow their mom inside. She’s asking about the situation at home, because she knows college is going okay since Chaeyoung and her text each other almost daily.

“They’re good.” Chaeyoung assures her, shrugging her shoulders. “I feel like dad’s kind of changed? But like, for the better. He was really nervous about tonight, you know?”

Y/n frowns. “Really?”

Why would Hyunsik be nervous?

She lets go of her sister once they enter the kitchen and she watches her mom walk up to Hyunsik, gently patting his arm and pointing at Y/n. Hyunsik turns around to look at her and wipes his hands on a kitchen towel, stepping closer.

They shake hands and the air grows awkward, especially when Y/n sees the sad look crossing her mom’s face. Y/n tries not to think about how even Sana’s dad hugged her when Hyunsik never does.

They make a little smalltalk until dinner is ready, Chaeyoung sitting on the counter and Y/n leaning against it next to her while they watch their parents step around each other in the kitchen expertly.

It’s all pretty normal until they sit down at the dinner table, which is when everything goes quiet all of a sudden. Chaeyoung just kind of dives into her food to distract herself from the tension around them and they start eating, throwing a few meaningless questions around to fill the silence.

Y/n’s knee is bouncing up and down underneath the table, her fingers are itching and she just kind of wants to get up and leave and not have this conversation.

The food tastes great but Y/n can’t even enjoy it.

Her mom clears her throat after a while when their plates are half emptied and the food is getting a little cold. Y/n looks up, slowly chewing on the vegetables in her mouth and she meets her eyes with an apologetic look. Like she knows how much Y/n’s been dreading this moment.

“Y/n, there’s something Hyunsik and me would like to talk to you about.” She says and Y/n slowly puts her chopsticks down, clearing her throat. She leans back into her chair as if she’s trying to put some distances between herself and her family.

She nods her head. “Okay. I’m listening.”

She tilts her head at her, her earrings swinging a little. She really does look beautiful tonight. She always does but she reminds her a lot of herself from back when Y/n was a child, when she used to watch her dress up when she was about to meet a client. “We know you’ve been seeing a therapist.”