Chapter 43

Sana’s dad arrives a while later, and he’s just as kind and welcoming as everyone else in Sana’s family. It’s no surprise that Sana has such a bright and optimistic personality; Y/n’s rarely seen such a loving and, well, functioning family as Sana’s.

He pulls Y/n into a tight hug upon arrival, calling Y/n daughter and Sana sees Y/n flush under the attention, but she doesn’t say anything, which Y/n is extremely thankful for.

That dinner is one of the best dinners Y/n’s had in her life. She isn’t used to peaceful nights like this. Back at home, every dinner eventually lead to her fighting with her stepdad.

But the closest thing that comes to a fight tonight is Sana teasing her little sister, but even there Y/n can tell how much Sana loves her, how she keeps patting her head or sneaking little kisses on her head. Sana seems to really love her shaved head and Y/n doesn’t know why she finds that so endearing.

At one point Sana’s dad asks her if Y/n has a boyfriend. “Or girlfriend, of course.” The man adds quickly.

Luckily none of them notice how Y/n and Sana both tense up at the question, and Y/n wishes she would’ve missed the way Sana grits her teeth together until Y/n shakes her head no.

“But you’re such a beautiful young woman.” Sana’s mom shakes her head in disbelief. “I don’t understand how no one’s snatched you away yet. We have a lot of young people your age in our town though, Sana can introduce you to some of them if you want—“

“Mom, stop it.” Sana says and Y/n doesn’t even dare to look at her.

She clears her throat and looks at Sana’s dad instead, changing the subject by asking her about the cake shop Sana has mentioned. She can feel Sana stare at her, like she didn’t expect Y/n to remember, which Y/n ignores as well.

It turns out that Sana didn’t quite tell Y/n the whole truth about her parents’ occupation; they don’t just own one cake shop, they own a total of twelve cake shops all across the country and when they tell her the name of their shop Y/n nearly chokes on her food.

Everyone knows those cake shops. She throws Sana an accusing look and Sana blushes, shrugging her shoulders as she stuffs her face with more food.

No wonder they’re living In a house like this.

“Sana and I are going fishing tomorrow morning. There is this nice lake only half an hour from here. Has the most beautiful carps you can find around here.” Sana’s father speaks as he takes a gulp from his beer. He has a round face with laughter lines all over, small friendly eyes. Sana definitely has his nose. “You should come with us, Y/n.”

Y/n widens her eyes, shaking her head. “Oh, no, I should really leave after dinner.”

“But it’s such a long drive.” Sana’s mother raises her eyebrows at her. “You shouldn’t be on the road at night for that long.”

“Yeah, stay here.” Minah pipes up, blushing a little at the surprised look Sana shoots her, like she doesn’t usually act like this around Sana’s friends.

A part of Y/n hopes she doesn’t. She wants Sana’s family to like her, which is extremely stupid and pathetic, because it doesn’t really matter anymore what they think of her.

“Do you have to be anywhere tomorrow?” Sana’s dad asks again.

Y/n gulps. “No, that’s not it but I’ve already overstayed my welcome—“

“Oh, nonsense.” Sana’s mom rolls her eyes. “Stay over tonight, okay? We have a guest room, it’s really no problem.”

“Well it’s settled then.” Sana’s dad smiles before Y/n can object again and leans back with a satisfied sound. “And once again, I ate way too much.”