I'm Crossing My T's

I woke up in a hospital bed, being blinded by lights.

"Scarlett?" I heard Gerard's voice.

"Gerard?" I replied.

"It's me. I'm here baby." He said, clutching my hand.

"What happened?" I asked, rubbing my eyes, which made me catch the IV in the back of my hand.

"You fainted, baby. Billie-Joe's mom had to take you to the hospital and Billie-Joe called me on your phone." He explained.

I looked at him in slight shock.

"Did he tell you?" I asked.

He nodded just as Billie-Joe and his mom came in.

"You don't need to be here." Billie-Joe's mom spat at Gerard.

"Mom!" Billie-Joe snapped.

"What? He's a teacher. Not a concerned boyfriend. There's no point pretending."

"Please, ma'am. Don't assume I'm pretending to be anything. Because I'm not. I love my girlfriend no matter who's disrespectful, arrogant mother says so. No offence Billie-Joe." Gerard said, not taking his eyes off the mother.

"None taken." Billie-Joe chuckled, raising his hands.

"Billie-Joe Armstrong, go to the car. I will not have you agree with what this pitiful excuse for a man is saying about me." His mom shrieked.

"Mom. I'm 18. I can make up my own mind as to what I think of you. If I agree with Mr Way - which I do - then that's my decision and you have no say in that. Whether it's about you or not." Billie-Joe stated.

"Can you guys stop arguing please for one fucking minute?" I shouted, causing everyone to stop and look at me. "I need to know how my baby is."

"I'll get a doctor." Gerard mumbled before leaving the room.

"How dare you, mom?" Billie-Joe growled.

"What?" She asked.

"Why don't you get your nose out of other people's private lives and start concentrating on other things? Like the fact that your son has been no where near the same in the 8 years since dad died." Billie-Joe retorted.

"Billie..." His mom sighed.

"No mom. If you go to the Principal or the police, I'm leaving. And don't you dare think I'm ever coming back." He snapped.

I saw tears spring to Billie-Joe's mom's eyes. She knew he was serious. I didn't know why he was serious... I mean, it wasn't his relationship...

"Fine." His mom said after a moment's silence, turning to me. "I'll keep your secret."

I took a sigh of relief.

"Thank you. You only need to keep it for a couple more months. Once I'm 18 and I graduate it doesn't matter who you tell. Gerard's thinking about leaving the state."

"Seriously? Why didn't I know about this?" Billie-Joe asked.

"It was only small talk. But it got serious about a week ago." I told him.

Just then, Gerard came back, a doctor hot on his tale.

"Hello Scarlett. My name is Doctor Carmichael. I heard you wanted to know how your baby was?" The doctor, who had dirty blond hair and looked t be in her early 30's, smiled.

"Yes please." I replied, instantly getting nervous.

She looked through my notes, which were hanging on a post at the end of my bed.

"Looks like everything's clear. Your baby seems to be fine and so do you a part from a little rise in your blood pressure." Doctor Carmichael said.

"So what made me faint?" I asked.

"Well from the brief description given to me by your friend, here, it seemed to be a stress build-up." The doctor informed me, gesturing to Billie-Joe.

I glanced at Billie-Joe's mom for a split second. She looked like she felt really bad.

Good.

"Thank you doctor." I smiled.

"No problem. We'll keep you in and do a check up, but you should be able to go in a few hours." She told me before leaving.

"I bet you feel awesome right now." Gerard said to Billie-Joe's mom.

She held her head high and didn't make eye contact with anyone.

"How was I supposed to know she'd faint and almost kill her baby?" She asked.

Gerard looked like he wanted to kill her.

"Fuck you mom. That wasn't Scarlett's fault. She didn't almost kill her baby. That was all you." Billie-Joe snapped.

She humorlessly chuckled.

"Coming?" She asked, turning towards the door.

"Get fucked." Billie-Joe retorted.

His mom looked like she was about to explode, but kept her posture.

"Fine. Walk home."

And with that, she left.

"I'll give you a lift back." Gerard told him.

"Thanks." Billie-Joe smiled.

We sat in silence for a good few minutes, Gerard sat by my side, holding my hand.

"You guys do look really cute. You're lucky to have each other." He smiled.

Gerard and I looked at each other before looking back at the boy at the end of the bed.

"Yeah... I guess we are." I smiled, leaning over to kiss Gerard on the lips, which he, of course, complied to.

After a few more minutes wait, the doctors came to do my tests, which took about an hour.

After that we were waiting for the results, which took a further 4 hours.

I was able to go after getting the all clear and we took Billie-Joe back home, reluctantly.

"I'll see you both at school." He smiled through Gerard's window, which was rolled down.

"See you at school." Gerard and I said simultaneously.

~~~~

Gerard and I were sat on the couch watching a war movie from the 50's.

"You scared the shit out of me today." Gerard mumbled.

I looked up at him.

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

"I'm just glad you and our baby are ok." He smiled, kissing my forehead.