Chapter 27- Last Night of Independence

July 4, 2023

July 4, 2023

"How do you like my outfit?" I spin around to give James the whole look. It's a blue and white romper paired with a red necklace and red vans.

"You look beautiful," he smiles, standing up and kissing my cheek with his hand landing on my waist. "You always do."

"Ugh a man after my own heart," I sigh.

"Don't I already have it?" He quirks an eyebrow, putting his other hand on my waist, keeping me right in front of him.

"Forever and counting," I smile at him.

"Good," he leans down and kisses my mouth this time.

"I like your outfit way better than mine," I brush my hands down his bare chest and abs.

"Oh do you now?" He smirks.

"Mhmm," I hum, my eyes roaming over the muscle underneath my fingertips.

"You look like you want to eat me," James chuckles, his abs rippling under my touch. I look up to meet his eyes.

"Who says I don't," I shrug.

"We should skip the bonfire," James says gruffly, hunger growing in his eyes as he pulls me closer to him.

"Nope," I shake my head. "One last night with our friends before we have each other for only ourselves for 2 whole weeks." He groans, throwing his head ba k and staring at the ceiling.

"Fine," he grumbles, putting on his shirt.

"I also like this outfit," I compliment. It's a plain white shirt that says 'Stars, Stripes, and Fundamental Rights.' I bought it for him off of Etsy last 4th of July. I have one too but the text has faded from how often I wear it so now it's a bedtime shirt.

"Good you better," he winks, grabbing my hand, "now let's go. The sun is already setting and we have a wedding tomorrow."

"It's a nighttime wedding so we'll be fine if we go to bed late," I tell him. The one thing we asked for was that the wedding take place under the stars, so his parents can be there too.

"Good thing I get to be with you all day then." We also aren't dealing with the superstition of bad luck if you see your spouse on your wedding day. It's dumb and I don't want to be without James until it's time to get ready. He and the groomsmen are getting ready at Darby and Lucas's, while me and my bridal party are getting ready at Evertree Ranch. We decided to keep it small with only 3 bridesmaids and 3 groomsmen. Quick ceremony and a slightly longer reception before James and I are free to be alone for the first time as a married couple. Which we will be taking full advantage of.