Chapter-7

Annabeth

"Ahhh" I jumped up as I cried from pain. I had unknowingly slept on my back. This had happened the whole night and I hadn't gotten a bit of sleep.

My head felt like there was an explosion inside. I rubbed my temples trying to reduce the pain. It didn't work. I sighed and got up. I went to take a shower and rinse off all the salt from the beach. The only thing that helped me relax from what happened yesterday.

I wrapped myself in a towel and went out. I went straight to my closet and pulled out a full sleeved sweatshirt and, definitely not jeans. That'd be too painfull. Hmm..Then I spotted it. A pair of loose sweatpants. I pulled it out along with a sports bra. Less painful than a normal one. I was putting my clothes on when I heard the ping of a message coming through from my phone. I quickly finished dressing and looked at my phone. Then there was another two pings. Who would be messaging me this early?

I looked at the screen and saw that it was Percy. I opened the message.

°°°°°°°°°°°°

Seaweed Brain 💙

SB: Hey! I know it's early but I gotta tell you something.

SB: I'm not gonna be able to pick you up today. I had to get into work early. Maybe you could come to my office and we'll meet there?

SB: Is that okay?

Me: Yeah! Sure. That's fine. I'll meet you there.

Me: Byee

SB: Bye 💙

°°°°°°°°°°°°

Of course! It was a Monday. Why didn't I think of that? I sighed and put my phone down. I don't usually wear makeup but today, I went to my table and got out my foundation and concealer (A/N-Correct me if I'm wrong cause I know not a THING about makeup). I started putting it on my face, trying to cover the scratch marks. My skin started burning because of all the chemicals from the makeup I was putting on, but I just ignored it and went back to work.

After I finished that, I took a long breath, grabbed my 'ready to go' bag and soundlessly made my way to the door. I knew that if I went out I'd have to go through yesterday all over again...but that guy was so sweet. I didn't want him to think that I didn't show up because I thought he was rude.

I slowly and soundlessly twisted the doorknob and opened the door, which made a not so quiet squeaking sound. I winced as I pulled the door just enough for me to get out. I silently scrambled outside, praying with all my mind that nobody in the house was up, especially Helen.

I closed the door from outside and let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding. I walked silently to the elevator and went down to the lobby. I smiled at the receptionist and made my way out.

I breathed in the early morning air of New York and started walking towards The Olympian Demigods all the while thinking of how I'd get out of this one with Helen. I just hope Percy doesn't find out about what happened. Aaand let's hope my makeup doesn't melt from the heat.

--------A fEw MomEnTs LatEr--------

I walked through the corridor of the building in which I had only been once. I looked around, still surprised at the architecture and also looking for Percy's office. The last time I had come here, the room I had gone into was apparently Percy's 'interviewing room'. So this time I had to go to another room, his 'working room', the receptionist said. After a few minutes, I finally found the door and opened it. I went in and saw a pretty woman, who looked about my age, with long and shiny black hair and bright hazel eyes, and her cheek was sprinkled with just a bit of freckles. I went up to her and smiled at her. She did not smile at me.

I stood there awkwardly, "Umm..Hi! I was looking for Percy Jackson?" I asked her.

"I'm his secretary. So who are you and why do you want meet him? He's busy!" She declared, very coldly.

"Right. But he told me to meet him." I told her.

She looked me up and down and rolled her eyes. "Fine. Wait a moment while I go check with him." She sighed and stood up, walking over to another door and opening it. She poked her head through it and called out in a sweet voice. She asked something to the person inside and when he replied, she nodded and came back out, closing the door behind her.

She looked at me disgustedly and said, "Ugh..you may go inside." pointing to the door.

"Umm..thanks." I said and went to the door. I opened it and poked my head through. I saw Percy sitting on a chair in front of a desk. He looked up at the sound of the door and saw me.

Percy

I was working on my computer, trying to figure out what the I was doing, when I heard the door open the second time. I looked up and saw Annabeth's face poking through the door. I smiled at her and she smiled back, but it looked more like a grimace, like it hurt her to smile. I wondered why.

"Hey! Can I come in?" She asked, smiling a bit.

"Yeah! Sure. Make yourself at home..uhhh-or at work? Oh what the heck! Make yourself comfortable." I said, after which I looked back down to my computer, thinking why the heck I had embarrassed myself like that.

She laughed and came in, closing the door behind her as her eyes wandered around the room.

"I can see you like blue a lot." She said, raising her eyebrow at me teasingly.

"You already knew that!" I said blushing crazily.

She just laughed and sat on the chair in front of me.

"I am really so sorry I couldn't come pick you up. I just had to get into work." I apologised, as I looked into her eyes.

"What are you talking about? It's ok! Calm down." She said, chuckling a bit.

I scrunched my eyebrows and looked her up and down. She was wearing very covering clothes, and I don't mean that I want to see her in revealing clothes. I just thought she was wearing too much-I mean, she was wearing full sleeves and full pants with socks. I'm guessing she would've even worn gloves if it wasn't so hot.

"Percy. Stop staring." She said, smirking.

"I'm not sta- well I am. Umm...did something happen?" I asked her. She started looking nervous.

"Look Annabeth, just tell me. It's ok. Did something happen?" I asked her again.

Then tears started falling down her cheek as she bowed her head.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

{5/4/2023}

😁✌️