"It's that or nothing," he said. The kids crossed their arms over their chest and grumpily said, "fine."

The man left his family behind and walked toward Julia. He was in line behind the older man who was carefully picking out his donuts.

"Hey man. What's her name," Ty asked, pointing at Julia standing next to Steve.

"Her name is Julia, and she's my wife," he lied.

Ty did a double take and faced Steve. His eyes moved down to his hand where a wedding ring was missing, noticing Steve moved his hand behind him but not fast enough.

"She's your wife, huh. Where's your wedding ring."

"I was in a rush this morning and forgot to put it on," Steve answered.

Ty laughed at him, not believing his lies. He rolled his eyes at Steve. "She can do much better than you, man."

Steve stood up straight, "And you think you're better than me."

Ty shrugged with a smirk on his face. "I can show her a good time and take her out of this little business." He looked around the bakery with a disgusted look on his face.

Steve was mad and ready to fight. "Listen, man." Steve poked Ty's shoulder.

"This is her business for the last year. She has worked nonstop to have it where it is right now. I'm proud of everything she has accomplished, and I know her business is going to do great things."

Ty crossed his arms over his chest and glared at Steve. "She doesn't need you to show her a good time," he said sternly. "She's my girlfriend, my best friend, and the mother of my daughter. I love her more than life itself, and I'll marry her one day." He said the last part more to himself than to Ty.

"Man, if you love her so much, why are you not married. What are you waiting for?"

What was he waiting for? It was a good question.

He knew she was the one months ago. Sometimes it felt as if they were married. They only needed to sign the papers to make it real.

Steve turned around and saw Julia take care of the last customer. She felt someone was staring at her and lifted her face, and their eyes locked.

She could see there was something wrong with Steve. His face didn't have his usual spark. She lifted her hand, giving him a thumb up. In their own way, asking him if he was okay.

He chuckled lightly and responded by giving her a thumb up. Without having to say any words, they knew each other. They knew when something was wrong, and they knew what to do to make the other one feel better.

There was no doubt in Steve's mind that she was his other half. They were soulmates made for each other. He waved at her and walked out of the business.

◦ ◦ ◦

Julia and Melody were in the dining room. A plate was ready for Steve. Both girls were waiting for him.

The front door opened. Melody smiled and yelled, "dada." She knew her father was home. Melody began to crawl.

"We are in the kitchen," Julia said, grabbing a glass of water.

A tired Steve made his way to them. He was starving but ignored the food. He gave his daughter a quick smile and walked up to Julia.

He hugged her, wrapping his arms around her waist. "I love you so much," he said.

Julia brushed the back of his hair. "I love you too, Steve."

He broke the hug and stared into her soft eyes.