Forced Family Time is Still Family Time After-All

Start from the beginning

"Angie, you should walk with me," My grandma stood up and ushered me over a little while later. "There's something I wanted to talk to you about," She grabbed my arm lightly and started leading us out of the room. "It's a beautiful night out, why don't you show me the ice gardens?"

"I thought that Judy showed you guys the ice gardens-"

"Yes, but I didn't get to walk through the ice gardens with my grandaughter." She gave me a look. "It's been a long time since I've gotten to talk to you, one on one," She smiled. "And plus," She added in a more quiet voice after we got outside, "You might want to put a little extra concealer on,"

"Uh, what?" I instinctually covered my neck with my hands, pulling on the edges of my turtleneck.

"Like I said, none of my business. I just wanted to let you know before anyone... your father sees." Grandma Esme gave a sort of "knowing look" considering his behavior the night before and held out a little concealer stick.

"Uh, thanks," I coughed awkwardly, this being the last type of conversation I would want to have with my grandma, but at least she wasn't making a big deal about it like my dad would.

"Hanging out with your brother sure brought me back, I feel like you should still be that little," She smiled softly as we entered the ice gardens. "He reminds me of you in some ways, the way he loves to talk and explore. I have to say, it feels strange that you are so grown up now. You really do look a lot like Elsie." She patted my cheek.

It was weird to hear that I looked like my mom, especially since my transformation into an elf. I felt as if the one thing that did connect me to her in my reflection had changed so much, that I could hardly see her face in mine any longer.

"And you know, as much as Scott may butt heads with my Cormac and I, your mother always talked so highly of him," She chuckled, "What I mean to say though, is that it really doesn't matter what anyone else is going to say or think, because when you find someone that loves you, that's all you really need."

"So you picked up on the tension between Bernard and my dad?" I raised an eyebrow, shaking my head slightly.

"Hon, everyone in the North Pole can pick up on the tension. Any time the two of them are in the same room discussing you specifically, you can feel the tension." My grandma laughed, "All fathers are the same though... well, all parents really." She shrugged with a small smile, "Oh I did not want my precious daughter to grow up and get married. As a parent you just want to pretend that your kid will stay little forever, so you tend to forget that children do in fact grow up. Be patient with your father, he will eventually come around."

"It's more about being patient with the two of them," I sighed, sitting down on one of the elaborate ice benches.

"Boy trouble?" She asked sitting next to me.

"Well, as you could tell from the meetings, there's been a lot going on here since you arrived. Bernard and Dad need to work, and I know they need to work. I feel like if I were to work, at least I'd have some sort of distraction, but I realized that I don't actually even want to work while you guys are here. I know what they have to do is important, but I just wish they were able to spend more time with everyone too this week."

She nodded slowly, taking in my words. "It took Cormac almost two years to meet my family. How I tried to convince him to come to dinner or come out with us to lunch, but he was stubborn. It was the same thing, either work, or commitments, or this or that. Men can be stubborn, and if I could take it back I would have definitely put my foot down, but dear, that was really Cormac being scared of meeting people. He was such a shy little thing," She chuckled, "I don't think Scott or Bernard would be skipping out on hanging out if it wasn't something important. And as much as you don't like feeling excluded one way or another, I'm just glad that we were able to come up and visit, and I'm glad that I was able to meet Bernard. So yes, be patient with him. By the way you look at him, I think you'll be glad if you do."