Halloween

Halloween

The downstairs door slammed. "Angie!!" I heard Charlie's voice call. I could hear his footsteps run up the stairs and burst into my room.

"Charlie, don't bother your sister!" Laura called up the stairs. It was early evening, and I was working on writing a letter to Judy from my desk.

"Angie!" Charlie tackled me, practically pushing me onto the floor.

"Ouch-" I rubbed my butt, which hit the ground hardest. "Hey Charlie!" I pulled him into a tight hug.

"I've been waiting for you to come back! Mom said you were off looking at colleges, but were you really? I told her it didn't make sense since you are going to the North Pole with Dad next month but-"

"Charlie, shh," I told him, looking up to see Laura at the doorway, smiling at us hugging.

I was a little surprised that Laura was allowing Charlie over at all. Perhaps it was just because I was home now, which set her mind a bit more at ease. I suppose I did beg her to let me bring him last year since I told her it was probably my last year to do so before I moved off to college. Now it was just my last year to do so because I was living as an elf... A future I never foresaw.

Charlie glanced back and immediately stopped talking. "Hey Mom! Angie was just telling me all about all of the colleges she looked at over the summer while she was staying with her grandma."

"Oh really? Did you find one you liked?" Laura asked, looking happy that Charlie didn't start talking about Christmas immediately when he saw me... well, he did, but she didn't hear that part.

"Uh, yeah!" I quickly thought of a couple of university names. "I toured... Stanford... and I liked Berkley." I tried not to make it sound like I came up with those two off the top of my head, but even with my decent exam grades, they weren't schools I'd most likely get into even if I wanted to.

"Impressive," Laura raised her eyebrows. "Well I'm sure this summer was a great learning experience."

"Sure was," I said with a polite grin. I wasn't lying per se, it was a learning experience, just not the learning experience she was probably thinking of.

"How fun, you'll have to come over for dinner one of these nights and tell us all about," She smiled back. Despite saying this i knew I probably wouldn't be going over for dinner, even if I wasn't actively turning into an elf.

"So Charlie, what are you going as for trick or treating tonight?" I asked him once Laura left, after saying some passive-aggressive comment to Dad.

"Mom got me a Buzz Lightyear costume from the store!" He beamed. I was half expecting him to say an elf or a reindeer, so I was a little glad to see that he was going as something else. "Do you have a costume?" Charlie looked at me hopefully.

"Of course!" I smiled. I paid Shirley to make me a "costume" of Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice, which was my new favorite movie based on one of my favorite books. Shirley commented that it was a beautiful dress, that should be worn out on a date with a handsome man. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it was going to be worn parading around town with my little brother collecting candy.

I had watched the movie at the North Pole with Bernard and Judy, after bringing a television back from the nearest human town. Judy borrowed it to show to her mom and they both loved it as well. To make things better, Shirley also made Bernard a "costume" that looked very much like Mr. Darcy. When I told him about trick or treating and Halloween, he seemed interested in dressing up, but of course, the only "character" he knew that he was currently interested in was Mr. Darcy, so of course, we were unofficially going in couple costumes, as he told me he'd come down to visit Charlie.