Chapter 5

It's one week before the official day and various papers are taped up on the institute's walls in the hallways, showcasing who's going up against who.

The pairings are:

Opening Acts
Lumine vs Childe (Round 1)
Petra Gurin vs Qiqi (Round 2)
Elira Pendora vs Rosaria (Round 3)
Rosemi Lovelock vs Collei (Round 4)
Pomu Rainpuff vs Amber (Round 5)
Peter Gurin vs Gorou (Round 6)
Nina Kosaka vs Bennett (Round 7)
Shu Yamino vs Cyno (Round 8)
Mario Marionette vs Faruzan (Round 9)

First Half
Enna Alouette vs Columbina (Round 10)
Lucy Kaneshiro vs Hu Tao (Round 11)
Fulgur Ovid vs Fischl (Round 12)
Mysta Rias vs Shikanoin Heizou (Round 13)
Luca Kaneshiro vs Pantalone (Round 14)
Reimu Endou vs Keqing (Round 15)
Alban Knox vs Sayu (Round 16)
Millie Parfait vs Barbara (Round 17)
Ike Eveland vs Xingqiu (Round 18)

Intermission
Vox Akuma vs Xiangling (Round 19)
Selen Tatsuki vs Klee (Round 20)
Finana Ryugu vs Kokomi (Round 21)
Aster Arcadia vs Layla (Round 22)
Scarle Yonaguni vs Sucrose (Round 23)
Kyo Kaneko vs Dori (Round 24)

Second Half
Maria Marionette vs Sandrone (Round 25)
Sonny Brisko vs Kujou Sara (Round 26)
Ren Zotto vs Thoma (Round 27)
Moony Brisko vs Scaramouche (Round 28)
Eki Eveland (hehehehe) vs Dottore (Round 29)

Final Acts
Uki Violeta vs Mona (Round 30)
Aia Amare vs Yelan (Round 31)
Doppio Dropscythe vs Arataki Itto (Round 32)
Romeo Kyoran vs Xiao (Round 33)
Meloco Kyoran vs Chongyun (Round 34)
Hex Haywire vs Alhaitham (Round 35)
Kotoka Torahime vs Dehya (Round 36)
Cer Cerulean vs Kaeya (Round 37)
Ver Vermillion vs Aether (Round 38)

Lumine looks at the paper and sighs as she's first and up against Childe. She wonders if since she's part of the student council, she would have had a say in who she wanted to fight. But then she backtracks, remembering that only the event planner can rearrange things - because that's their job - and the president and vice president are the only ones allowed to look and give their input.

"Hope you don't mind being the opening act," a deep rumbling voice says from behind, startling her. She looks up and yup, there he is, looming over her smaller figure.

"That's a lot of pressure to put on someone, especially when I broke away from Teyvat University to come here," Lumine replies. But, she relents. "It's fine though."

Hex chuckles. "I can only imagine. Just do your best though, Meloco put you guys first for a reason."

Lumine smirks. "To show that we're better?"

He snickers. "Of course."

———————————————

Aether looks at the roster and feels his nervousness rise. He's last and up against their student council president, someone who even Lumine praises to be incredibly strong.

"You got this Aether!" Paimon exclaims. "Paimon knows you can win against him!"

He sighs. "I don't know Paimon... wasn't this roster a joint effort between two schools? Why does it feel so one-sided? I mean, look at Nina vs Bennett."

"In all honesty, Paimon thinks that's just Bennett's bad luck again," she admits.

"That's... fair."

"Paimon thinks we shouldn't underestimate our friends either!" she says. "We don't exactly know who they are, but we know our friend's capabilities! Paimon thinks they'll crush it!"

Aether hums. "I hope you're right. For now, I just need to focus on improving myself."

"Hey Aether!" Xiangling shouts, running over to him. "Oh, the roster's out? Lemme see where I am... oh they did swap. I'm up against Vox Akuma this year."

"Is he good at cooking?" he asks.

Xiangling shrugs. "Dunno. But I would assume so if they put us up against each other."

"Well, I wish you the best of luck, Xiangling. You can do it!" Aether encourages.

"You too Aether!" she responds back, more enthusiastic than him. "We'll ace it!"

They part ways as they go to their next class, which for him, is Science. Compared to his Inazuman History teacher, he likes this class mainly because of the teacher. Although small, she's incredibly knowledgeable and knows how to make the class entertaining. He enters the classroom and the soft greens of the wallpaper make him feel at ease. Paimon disappears.

The teacher is sitting at her desk in the corner of the classroom and her vibrant green eyes shift from her computer to him. "Good morning, Aether."

He smiles at her. "Good morning Nahida."

"Let's have another good day today!"

He nods and goes to his seat. He sits in the middle of the classroom and to his left is Nilou, to his right is Kokomi, in front of him is Alhaitham and behind him is Yunjin. A very interesting set of people who all have different views, but they get along quite well.

Alhaitham is sitting silently with another new book in his hand and Kokomi is also reading a book, but actively making markings in it. Yunjin and Nilou are chatting quietly about upcoming performances and perhaps collaborations.

"Morning Aether," Nilou greets him. He nods back in lieu of a greeting and sinks into his chair. "What's wrong?"

"I looked at the roster..." he mutters. Kokomi makes a small 'ah' sound and closes her book, placing her pencil down as well.

"I saw who you were up against. As much as I'd love to give you strategic tips, he's very mysterious," Kokomi admits. "This is probably only the second or third time he's participated in one of these, and neither of us were here when he did."

Aether blinks. "Really? Then who takes over the spot of the student council president round whenever they're the ones doing the main organization of the event?"

"Cer Cerluean," Alhaitham responds simply, not looking up from his book.

Nilou nods. "This is actually the first time in which both of them are participating at once. It's normally either Ver or Cer."

"That is terrifying to think about," Yunjin whispers. "If Cer is ruthless and loves playing with his food, I wonder how Ver is."

"I'd advise you to not go near him until your match, by the way," Alhaitham says. "Get too close and he'll be able to use his powers."

"What are his powers anyway?" Aether asks. "I haven't actually been told what kind of supernatural abilities they have."

"Well, based on what I've been told from those who've been here from the beginning," he starts, closing his book and finally turning around to face them. "He can look into anyone's soul, navigate what he calls soul fires, and see their future."

"That's a little... invasive, isn't it?" Nilou asks, worried.

"Considering that they have a psychic in their school, this seems a lot tamer," Yunjin admits. "He has to get up close in order to look right?"

Alhaitham nods. "Which is why I'm saying to not go near him."

"I'll keep that in mind, thanks Alhaitham."

"Of course." He turns to Kokomi. "We should come up with different strategies to tell the participants."

"Of course! You'll be available after school right?"

"Yes. We'll meet up in the usual study room."

"In the library right? Okay! I'll do my best."

And we've caught up to all that I've pre written so far! While updates have been daily, it will begin to slow down. So, please be patient for the upcoming chapters, I will write as much as I possibly can ^^