Chapter 3

Monday morning the twins go their separate ways to go to different campuses and Aether sighs heavily, the thought that Lumine didn't consider them friends weighing heavily on his heart. Paimon sets a small hand on his shoulder. He's grateful for this gesture because it keeps him grounded.

"Hey Aether! How was your weekend?" Xiangling immediately asks when he walks into his homeroom classroom.

"Uneventful but I managed to rest quite a bit," Aether admits. He keeps Lumine's comment close to his heart and doesn't dare tell the rest. "How about you?"

Xiangling's eyes sparkle as she describes her weekend. "You see! I was experimenting with my recipes, yeah? And I just found the best ingredient/spice that'll add that extra boom-shaka-laka I was looking for!"

Aether smiles as he sits in his seat next to her. "I'm happy for you, Xiangling. I hope you spared Chongyun this time around though."

Xiangling nods. "I gave it to Hu Tao to try and she said it was super good! I might use it for the competition coming up soon."

"I wasn't here last year so I don't know who you'll be up against. Do you think you could tell me?"

"Of course of course! Hm... last year I think I went up against a witch. The opposing school had two back ups for her though just in case she was ill, so they might actually switch up the roster this year. It was the witch, a demon, and their student counselor."

"Did you win?"

Xiangling sighs. "No, it was a tie." She perks up. "But that just means I have so much more room to improve! Whether it be the witch again or the demon or the counselor, I'll make sure to take the win home this year!"

Aether grins. "Yeah! That's the spirit!" They high five. The bell rings and a few minutes later, students trickle into the classroom. He greets everyone as they walk in and once everyone's settled, the second bell rings and their teacher walks in.

"Good morning everyone, I hope you had a good weekend," Zhongli greets them. He places the textbook he was carrying onto the table in front of the classroom and boots up the computer. "Last week, we covered the first half of the Archon War. In preparation for this week's quiz, today and tomorrow will be review."

A chorus of groans fills the classroom, but Zhongli looks unbothered. He tells the class to turn to page 135 and answer the questions on that page in their notebooks. The class goes on uneventfully.

———————————————

As soon as she passes the school gates, she gets jumped, the person latching onto her back. "Ah!"

Judging by their small stature, it's either Finana, Petra or Maria. The girl wraps their legs around Lumine's waist. "Lumi!!"

"Maririn~" she responds back with. "What's up?"

"I didn't see you at all on Friday so I'm here to make up for that," the doll replies. "C'mon, I'll accompany you to class."

"Well, I'm sure you can't be comfortable stretching yourself over my backpack in order to drape yourself across my back so why don't you come walk beside me?" Lumine offers, giggling. Maria takes her up on it and lands on her feet gracefully. Lumine straightens out her posture and the two girls begin to walk to class.

"What did you do last Friday Lumine?" Maria asks.

"Other than our usual classes, I finished up my part of the council work for last week and injured Ver during training," she describes. Seeing Maria's widening eye, she quickly explains. "He still won, of course, and he only got injured because he was blocking a strike with his arm to get his sword to my neck."