Chapter 74: Lovers on the Run

Start from the beginning

Zatanna: "Why don't we just head to the zeta tube?"

(Y/n): "Well, it's clear that Brother Night has a lot of manpower, and by now the police will be swarming the city... It's too risky. I don't want to risk getting arrested and just sitting in a cell while they chase us down."

Zatanna: "Okay, a boat it is."

(Y/n): "The captain is expecting us, we'll give him Ghost here in exchange for safe passage and no questions asked. He'll then send Ghost back to Alfred's friend."

The magician tightened her hold over her fiancé and pulled herself into his back as much as she could, the cold air blasting by as the horse thundered down the train tracks.

———————————————————————

Artemis stepped into (Y/n) and Zatanna's hotel room. She immediately cursed, realizing that someone had searched their room before she arrived. Clothes were thrown all across the floor and the dresser droors were ripped out of the main set piece and thrown across the room.

Artemis: "What have you two gotten into now?"

The archer had seen the local news broadcasts and knew all about the robbery at the auction, but it was currently crawling with police officers and she couldn't get in to look for evidence.

She realized that whoever attacked the auction must have searched Zatanna and (Y/n)'s room but she had no idea what they were looking for.

After making sure there wasn't anything useful in the hotel room, Artemis called Oracle, hoping she could help find something useful.

Oracle: "Oracle here, what's going on?"

Artemis: "Can you search Naples cctv for me?"

Oracle: "I can. I assume I'm looking for our missing magician and agent? I thought you didn't need help tracking them down?"

The archer lightly laughed at the 'I told you so' tone in Oracle's voice before awkwardly scratching her head.

Artemis: "Yeah, I may have underestimated their ability to get into trouble."

Oracle: "Don't worry, we'll find them. I suggest you get out of there and make yourself scarce until I find something. The police are more than likely on their way."

——————————————————————

Ghost galloped into the small coastal port city. The streets were largely empty at the late night hour, allowing the pair to ride right into a small bar across the street from the docks.

Zatanna: "Are you sure this is where we're supposed to meet this guy?"

(Y/n): "I honestly don't know, my instructions were rather vague."

The pair dismounted from Ghost before tying the horse to a nearby lamp post.

(Y/n): "Stay close to me, I'm guessing this will be a rough crowd."

The magician nodded her head as the pair stepped through the doors and into the small bar. They immediately stood out. Almost every single person in the bar was dressed like a fisherman or dock worker.

The pair could feel everyone's gaze fall upon them and Zatanna shuffled behind (Y/n). She still wore her red dress which had several snags and cuts by her right leg slit, showing a bit more skin than intended but nothing too revealing. She was cursing herself for picking a backless dress, feeling everyone looking at her as they walked further into the bar.

(Y/n) grabbed an empty stool off to the corner of the bar, letting Zatanna sit down first and then largely shielding her with his body by sitting next to her.