i. this is really happening

After Paisley Reynolds had made her NHL debut in the 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs, her name had been spread all throughout the league. She absolutely dominated during the Carolina Hurricanes' run, including scoring the game winner against the Nashville Predators that sent the Canes to the conference semi finals, where they lost against the Tampa Bay Lightning. Although Paisley had been the top scorer for the Canes during the playoffs, her name was still creating trade buzz over the off season. Her wonderful agent, Jenni, was taking care of everything, trying not to cause Paisley too much stress.

However, Jenni had just arrived at Paisley's house with news she was eager to share with the young nineteen year old. Paisley gave Jenni a glass of water and then they sat down at the Reynolds' dining room table. "So, what's up?" Paisley asked her agent. "Well, I'm sure you've heard the trade rumors surrounding your name lately." Paisley nodded. It was no secret that the Canes were actively shopping for more forwards, which meant that Paisley probably wasn't going to remain with them. But it was also no secret that a lot of teams were interested.

"Now, this only happened mere hours ago. But, you've been traded." Jenni told her. Paisley sucked in a breath. "Where?" She breathed out. Jenni grimaced. "Montreal." "What?!" Paisley exclaimed. "Are you fucking serious?" "Does it look like I'm kidding?" Jenni said, stone faced, expecting that kind of reaction from the girl. "Out of all the places, it had to be his team?" Paisley started pacing back and forth. She couldn't believe this. She stopped and turned to Jenni. "Who was I traded for?" She asked, hoping that Jenni would say Cole's name.

"Jesperi Kotkaniemi." Jenni responded and Paisley's hopeful smile disappeared and turned into a frown. "So, I have to play with Caufield?" She asked. Jenni nodded. Paisley sighed. "Book me on the next flight to Montreal." "Already on it." Jenni said, typing on her phone. "You wanna stop in Raleigh before you go?" Paisley nodded. "I have to say goodbye. I can't just leave." "Okay. You leave in four days."

                                                                                               ***

"So, what did Jenni want?" Trisha asked Paisley as she was preparing dinner later that night. "I've been traded to Montreal." Paisley told her. Trisha gasped in excitement. She placed the potato peeler she was holding down onto the counter. "That's amazing, sweetie. You'll get to play with Cole." Trisha gushed. Paisley scoffed and rolled her eyes. "That's not a good thing." She admitted. "Why not? You guys can live together. You father and I, and Kelly and Paul won't have to take so many trips to see you both play. We'll see each other more often." Trisha started ranting in excitement.

"Mom." Trisha didn't hear her. "Mom!" Paisley shouted. Trisha turned to look at her. "I'm not going to be living with him. It's bad enough that I have to play with him. I don't even like him." Paisley tried to get through to her mother. "Honey, don't be so ridiculous." "I'm not being ridiculous. I fucking hate him." Paisley admitted. Trisha scoffed. "I don't know what your problem is with that boy. He's been nothing but nice to you and you treat him like absolute crap. You should start following his example and be nice to him." She scolded her daughter.

Paisley scoffed. She hated being compared to Cole. "And this is exactly why I hate him." "You know what? I'm sick of your attitude. Go to your room." Trisha ordered. Paisley crossed her arms. "No." She said. "No?" Trisha raised an eyebrow. "I'm an adult. I do what I want." Paisley countered. "Hey, don't talk to your mother that way." Myles said, entering the kitchen. "But-" Paisley tried to protest. "As long as you're living in my house, you obey my rules. Go to your room. Now." Trisha said, pointing to the stairs.

Paisley huffed and stalked up to her room. She slammed the door behind her and pulled her phone out of her pocket. She clicked on her best friend's contact and waiting for him to answer her phone call. "What's up?" Jack asked when he picked up. "I just got traded." Paisley told him. "Holy shit. Where?" "Montreal." Paisley hissed out. Jack burst out laughing. "It's not funny." Paisley said. Jack continued laughing. "Yes, it is. That's what I call karma." He said. Paisley rolled her eyes even though he couldn't see her.

"How do you think Caufield's gonna take this?" She asked. "I don't know. Maybe this will be a chance for you two to work things out. Become friends." Jack said. "You honestly think that's gonna happen?" She asked. "You never know. You two have been acting really childish. Maybe playing together professionally will change that." Jack offered. "You're sick in the head if you think we could ever work together." "Well, you're gonna have to. So, grow up." Jack said. Paisley heard the line click.

"Jack? Jack?" He had hung up. "Asshole." She said, throwing her phone onto her bed. She shook her head. "I can't believe this is actually happening." She whispered to herself. She thought after all these years, after twelve years of playing with the boy she hated, they wouldn't have to play together ever again. She thought after they graduated from the US National team development program they would never have to play on the same team again. Clearly, fate had other plans.

The universe really seemed to have a thing against Paisley. Everything she did, everything she accomplished, he always had to be right there. The amount of times she had lost to him, or been second best to him made her sick. No matter what, she couldn't be better than him if she tried. Even her own parents liked him more than her. Paisley didn't understand what he had that made him so special. She sighed in defeat before hearing her phone go off from where she'd thrown it on her bed. She saw an Instagram post from the Montreal Canadiens, announcing her trade. Paisley sighed. "This is really happening."