When she explored the hammocks she spotted one little girl running over the branches. Gene quickly gave chase, laughing as the girl squealed and giggles at the chase. It happened quickly, a misstep making the girl slip and tilt, her eyes widening as she lost her balance. Gene dove, quickly wrapping her arm around the girl's back and pulling her flush against her side. She found her footing, hands grasping Gene tightly from the scare.

"Are you alright?" She nodded mutely, still holding on tight even as Gene rose from her knees. She swiftly picked her up, setting the girl on her hip as she made her way back to the other children who'd watched the whole thing with wide eyes.

"Let's head back down." They followed behind till they reached the bottom floor before they crowded around Gene, asking their friend how she was and gently touching her to see if there were any injuries. Gene carefully set her down, the girl's fingers still clutching her tightly before loosening as the other children caught her attention. Before long she was smiling again and they were running off to play another game, shouting a thank you to Gene as they disappeared back into the tree.

Ralu called out to her then, waving his arms and signalling her to come closer. 

"Having fun?" His lips tilted up, grin warm like always.

"I think so yes." The beads in his hair clicked together as he laughed. He did that often, laughed and smiled. Being overall joyful, as though he hadn't a care in the world. If something was bothering him, she wouldn't know. Maybe this is how she should be. Make sure no one knows anything is wrong so to not think on the looming questions and unknowns constantly over her shoulder and flashing with error messages when she returned to her body.

"I would ask you to help but Nanti has strictly said you're not to. Last thing I want to do is face her wrath."

"I can image why. I do not wish to anger her as well so I'm not seeking out something to do either."

"So just relaxing?"

"In a sense. It seems wrong to not be doing anything so I planned on looking at the Ikrans. I have yet to see one up close." He climbed to his feet then, before grabbing a hunk of meat.

"Let me show you." She followed him higher into the tree, foliage thickening and making her have to duck a few times to avoid a mouth full of leaves before they finally emerged near the top. A number of branches were woven together to create a landing zone of sorts. A few Ikran lounged on it but most seemed to be hidden in the leaves, the only note of their existence being the slight rustle of leaves as they no doubt looked to see who had approached. Ralu handed her part of the meat, the blood still seeping from it and onto the ground. With a grin towards her he made several chirp like sounds, clicking his tongue against his teeth slightly before an answering screech had her head turning to watch the Ikran descend. 

It was a darker blue with specks of a lighter cyan speckling about midbody and growing the further down it went. It trilled as he approached, eyes carefully taking him in before shifting to her.

"Don't look him in the eye." She averted her eyes, looking down to the ground while taking peeks up to take in the bond before her. The Ikran accepted the meat he offered gently, mouth nosing it to the side before letting it fall into its mouth and swallowing.

"Come closer. I won't let him hurt you." She approached slowly, making sure to not look the Ikran in the eye while still watching it as Ralu pulled her closer to his side. He grabbed her hand before slowly placing it on the Ikran's neck, his over hers. Her hand twitched at the touch before relaxing and slowly running her hand over the Ikran's skin, marveling at the feel.

"Offer him the meat." Palm open she held the meat up, watching as it observed her and the meat before snatching it and swallowing it. It wasn't as gentle but it had avoided nicking her with a tooth all the same.

"His name is Rain."

"Rain?" She looked at him with a raised brow while he simply shrugged.

"Couldn't think of a better name." She grinned at his sheepish behavior before looking again at the Ikran.

"Hello Rain." The Ikran huffed, body shifting like it wanted to fly. Perhaps it did. After connecting with a pa'li more than once she could almost always sense when one wanted to go for a good run. Wanted to feel the ground fall away under their legs but refrained as they instead set about wandering with their herd and grazing on flowers. She imagined the Ikran were not so different, wanting to stretch their wings as well but at times refraining.

"I'd offer a ride but I promised Nanti I'd help her prepare a gift. I don't think she needed my help but rather my company, not that I'll deny her that."

"I'll see you in the evening then. I wish to watch awhile longer."

"Just don't fall. Else I'll have to face more than Nanti's wraith." He patted her shoulder before leaving her. His Ikran moved away once he did, wings flapping before it took to the skies and hid itself once more in the leaves. She made herself comfortable in the branches, simply sitting and existing. She could hear the Ikran when they moved, eyes catching the slight shiver of leaves every so often. With how high up she was the sounds of the clan below were nonexistent, letting her hear the slight whispers of song. A song she'd heard before drifting free of either body. There were no words she could hear, nor any instruments but something knew what it was, something deep inside her.

The cry of an Ikran had her looking up, noting the rider atop it as they landed. They didn't seem to see her though as she waited further back in the tree, away from the ledge part of the roost. She watched them dismount, running their hand over the Ikran's neck as it made clicking noises back before departing with a cry. It was only as they drew closer that she realized the figure was Tsu'tey.

As though sensing her eyes his head darted to look where she'd hidden herself in the leaves. "Demon." He bared his teeth at her, tail lashing behind him. She tilted her head, blinking slowly before allowing her eyes to move where his Ikran had just been.

"They are very beautiful. I didn't mean to intrude, I just wanted to see the Ikran." She could tell when she was unwanted, and while most of the time she ignored the feeling so chose to follow it this time, standing and heading back down the tree. She'd caught him, even if my accident, not being a hardened warrior. While she couldn't quite grasp why some hated their kindness being seen, she'd observed it in the marines on the base. They withheld their emotions, moving about aggressively with not much in the way of soft emotions. Jake in all his curiosity betrayed that more often than not, a welcome in the humans' confusing behavior.

Ralu's Ikran's name is Tompa which means rain. Had to fight with myself on how the conversation was going so I settled for them saying rain.