Chapter 3

"Do you have any idea how to connect to your avatar?" Grace asked the next day, overlooking Norm's and Jake's transfer easily while the small cube sat to the side.

"I need to access one of the avatar beds. From there the connection should be able to be made. Or so Tom explained to me."

"Bed three then." The only indication Gene was in the bed was a slight blue glow under the lid. Grace took the liberty to at least place the cube inside before starting up the sync. 

Despite what Beck had tried to simulate for Gene, nothing could have prepared the A.I for the sensation of a heartbeat. 

"Gene?" Seeing with eyes was vastly different from seeing through lenses as well. The coloration distorted slightly, both too bright and also not bright enough.

"Pupils are dilating. Can you hear us Gene?"

"Can't believe we're talking to a A.I as though it's human."

"I can hear you Doctor Maxwell. My apologise. I was simply adjusting to the body."

"How does everything feel?" After a moment they allowed Gene to sit up, head moving to take in everything as she wiggled her fingers.

"Strange, though I should adjust after awhile. The simulations I went through couldn't have prepared me for the feeling of a heart." She pressed her hand against where the organ beat, feeling the steady thump of life flowing through her.

"Alright. I need you to look to the left," She followed the light both ways, wiggling her fingers and toes in order to get a full grasp on them. She'd never had a body, Grace choosing to keep her in her cube as a home base, so perhaps it was easier to grasp the use of her tail, the appendage curling and uncurling on command. She could twist her ears, taking in the sounds around her unlike before. They were clear, not unlike freshwater when compared to the slight distortion of before, like muddy water.

"Alright let's get you standing." Before she could though Jake was already running out the door, the use of legs once more seeming to overwhelm him. Norm while exasperated remained seated on the bed, taking his time in leaving the scientists.

"Here's some clothes. Do you know how to put them on?"

"My creator had the decency to tell and show me how to perform basic motor controls. I will be fine." The male scientist sneered at her response before going off the help Norm while the female continued to observe her.

"You are taking to this well."

"I hypothesize it is because this is the first body I have had that resembles humans. My creator chose to leave me in my home boxes. It is only right that I would adapt to this body faster than one who has always had one."

"I guess you're right. Still though this is a first for us." She offered the women a small smile, "It is for me as well. Strange and new. I look forward to seeing how I fare."

"Likewise Gene. Please let me know of any complications."

"Understood." And with that they allowed her to join the other drivers in the courtyard. Grace was already there, helping coral Jake before she spotted Gene.

"Good. It seems that body won't be wasted after all. I'll leave you to teach Jake." With that she left them alone, the male still eagerly devouring the fruit he'd been given.

"Come. It'd be best to start your language lessons as we walk. We are both new to these bodies, let us understand them better."

"Can you talk differently?" His face screwed up, unnerved by how calm and collected Gene seemed. Inhuman and while he knew she wasn't a human he was hoping that by her being in a body she might show more emotion.