Twelve

Heidi showed up at my work in the morning. I'd wanted to get my mind off of things, but clearly someone didn't think I deserved as much. As much as I loved her, she was the last person I wanted to hear from. Sure, she was smart and good at what she did, but she wasn't my mother. There was no reason for her to fuss at me like she inevitably would and did.

I suspected she was lurking just outside of the shop since when a customer left, the door immediately swung open again. She stormed up to me going, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

Startled, I looked toward her from the pile of shirts I was color coding as if she had seven heads. She might as well have had them, causing a ruckus like she was. I asked what her problem was, since there clearly seemed to be one and she went on to tell me what she had heard of the prior evening.

Apparently, I'm a disgusting excuse of a man that ignores safe words for my twisted satisfaction just to kick out the poor man I'd violated who was as old as she was and ended up crying on Heidi's doorstep to tell her all about how much of a shithead I was.

I stood, stunned for a moment as I took what she said in. "I—What are you on about?"

She scoffed and mumbled, "Of course you're going to pretend you don't know what I'm talking about." I gave her a confused look. "Last night. With Lucas. Ring a bell?"

"Last night—Heid, that's not at all what happened." I laughed in disbelief. That little bitch! I told her what actually went on the night prior but, for some reason, she seemed hesitant.

After a moment, she asked, albeit a touch accusatory, "Well why were you punishing him that way? You almost never do physical ones."

"I tried everything else. What did you expect me to do?"

"To talk to him," she said, as if I hadn't already tried that. We were going in circles. We did for days after that. For someone with such a strong sense of justice, she wasn't much of an innocent-until-proven-guilty type. It took nearly a week for her to at least somewhat come around. After all, she had a bit of a soft spot for him.

I met him at Frenzy, a club downtown that hosted meetups. He wasn't new but he wasn't committed to anyone, so some of the less-behaved doms gave him a hard time. Actually, that would be an understatement. They were bothering him all night. Grabbing at him and such. Some of the subs as well considering his height—not that there's direct correlation between the two but stereotype-wise, he could go either way, and did. He held his own for a bit that night, but over time he got overwhelmed. Heidi had been the one to step in. She'd met him before. Somehow I never crossed paths with him.

The final straw had been a particularly pushy guy trying to get him to follow him into a private room, practically dragging him along when he was clearly uncomfortable. I wasn't sure why he didn't just fight back. He looked strong enough to compared to the other guy.

"Oh my god, Lu, it's been forever!" Heidi exclaimed, making her voice loud over the blasting music as she approached the two. She and him were good friends. He'd been going for a while before I had.

"Heidi," he replied and tried to match her energy. He wasn't a very energetic person so the fact that he did showed how uncomfortable he was. "How are you?"

"Good!" She took one of his hands, which startled him a bit, as she set her eyes on the man who attempted to take him. "Who's your friend?"

"I'm not his friend," he mumbled.

"Oh." She dropped the bubbly personality as she focused entirely on the stranger. "Then maybe we should catch up somewhere else."

She turned to Lucas for his permission, which he happily gave, before leading him to where Diletta and I were sitting and introducing him to us. He was comfortable around the girls but took his time warming up to me. Once he had, the rest was history. We went on a handful of group dates and meetups over the course of a couple years before we made anything official. He gave me a wonderful seven months. The eighth was less than desirable but I thought things would work out but they hadn't and now I was getting chewed out by Mistress Heidi and taking it because what else was I meant to do? Lose her too?