chapter twelve : it had to

It was my last work day before I went on vacation. I ran around the diner, my phone vibrating in my apron nonstop, but there wasn't a moment for me to check it. It knew it was the bakery, the doctor, the florist, the balloon animal maker. It could wait. Sal had gotten sick, and Oscar was out of town; I was running this by myself with just the cook.

I delivered orders. picked up tables, moving to the back to help wash dishes. As I washed then, I reached in my phone to finally check it, my heart stopping at the amount of missed calls I had from Rosie's daycare.

I dropped the plate I was washing quickly called back, pinching my lip and pacing around the back, "Hello." I said at the first sound of noise from the other side.

"Hi yes, Lancer Day Care how can I help you?"

"This is Rosie Bridge's mom. I've been working but I have a bunch of missed calls from you all."

"Oh yes! Madeline, Rosie has a fever, she's thrown up. We tried all the emergency contacts no one answered." She said and panic filled me. I peeked out at the busy diner, wondering what I was going to do.

"My mom?" I said softly.

"She told us to keep trying you, she in the nex—town over. Right, I forgot. And her father? It's his afternoon today."

"No ma'am, and we called the sheriffs office too." I could feel the pity in her voice, because she knew our situation.

"Okay....just...give me a few minutes. I'll call right back." I hung up, bringing my fingers to the bridge of my nose. I squeezed it playing out different scenarios in my mind.

I could close the diner...for a few minutes. No I have to collect payment, and no...

I felt my shoulders tense as I tried to play out how to go about this. I pulled out my phone and called Eric, once. Twice.

I shook my head turning to lean on the sink basin. I couldn't help but feel like Eric was trying to teach me a lesson that only made sense in his mind. I closed my eyes, biting my lip to stop myself from crying, when suddenly his face popped into my mind.

Harry.

I opened my eyes, knowing it would piss Eric off once he found out. Knowing that I couldn't possible send a sick toddler home with Harry. It wasn't fair to him.

But what else can I do.

I decided that if Eric didn't answer this last time, then I would ask Harry for this favor. I took a deep breath, dialing Eric, and when it went straight to voicemail, I couldn't help the anger that filled me.

"Asshole." I said out loud, knowing he had to have seen all the missed calls before turning off his phone.

I shook my head calling Harry, my anger filled tears taking over.

"I didn't expect to hear from you yet. Did it slow down?" He said when he answered and I inhaled deeply.

"I need a favor." I cried softly.

"Hey, anything, anything." He said.

"Rosie had a fever, at daycare, I can't leave, my mo—okay. I'll swing by and get keys from you and the car seat, then go get her. Okay?"

He said before I could finish, and I nodded, "Thank you."

We hung up and I called Rosie's day care to let them know he was coming to pick them up. At first they laughed, but when I clarified I wasn't kidding they apologized.

I wiped my face and quickly went back out, pushing through the rest of the day until closing. Trying not to think about my sick Rosie.

Harry's POV