“What?”

“A jellycopter.”

“Stop!” Sana whines but Y/n ignores her. It’s not even that funny but she can’t help but laugh.

“Okay, I have another one.” Y/n says. “How does a penguin build it’s house?”

“How?”

Igloos it together.”

Hinata bursts out laughing at that. He has this weird wheezing laugh that seems to shake his entire body and that makes Y/n laugh in return.

Even Sana is staring at her lap with flushed cheeks and a hidden smile on her face when Y/n turns to look at her.

They keep going for the rest of the ride and Sana gives up halfway through, laughing along with their lame dad jokes.

-

When they arrive at Sana’s house, Y/n plans on saying goodbye to Sana’s whole family before she leaves.

But she doesn’t even get as far as opening her mouth to announce her departure before Sana’s mom asks them what they want to have for dinner. She’s watering the plants in the garden, asking Sana and Y/n both to pick up a watering can to help her out.

“Oh. I, uhm… I don’t think I’m going to stay that long. It was really nice of you for having me but I should—“

“Do you want to leave?” Sana asks, stopping whatever she’s doing to give Y/n a long, hard look.

And just like that, the air around grows impossibly tense. So far today, they’ve managed to avoid any awkward situations regarding their conversation last night.

But Sana’s wearing the same expression from last night; she looks almost resigned even though she’s good at masking it.

“No” Y/n starts. “But—”

“But what?” Sana almost snaps. Her eyes soften when Y/n flinches a bit and she opens her mouth again as if to apologize, but she doesn’t. Instead she puts the watering can down and walks away with a hand ruffling through her hair in frustration.

Jiyeon, Sana’s mom, looks back and forth between Y/n and the door where Sana just walked inside, looking mildly concerned. “Y/n, do you have anywhere to be back at home? Because Sana is leaving by the end of the week. If you’re free, you’re absolutely welcome to stay with us for a few more days. You two could leave together, hm?”

Y/n’s heart is throbbing in her chest. Her feelings are all over the place.

All those weeks of therapy might’ve helped her have more clarity and feel better in general, but it seems like she’s back to square one when it comes to dealing with her feelings for Sana that are so close to her heart, where she’s most vulnerable.

“I’m not sure.” Y/n gives her a weak smile, concentrating on watering the flowers in front of her.

Sana’s mother keeps looking at her before she clicks her tongue. “Sana can be really difficult. Please don’t take her behaviour to heart, okay? She’s just like her father. Ready to throw a tantrum when things don’t go her way.”

“No, it really isn’t her fault.” Y/n answers. The last thing she wants to do is give off the impression that Sana has no reason to act the way she does. “Sana is… she’s really great.”

And maybe Y/n shouldn’t have said that, because it makes her arch an eyebrow at her. “Oh.”

Y/n clears her throat, flushing a little under her scrutinising gaze.