13. A Deal With The Devil

A myriad of emotions filled me. Dread and anxiety were easily distinguishable from the muddle of emotions, like oil floating above water. It's the day that I wanted to prolong as long as possible. A soul for a whimsical fantasy. Fame and fortune. I enjoyed both equally, but alas, it was time to pay the price. A deal with the devil in blood.

I weaved through the crowd gathered in the park. They were all here to see me. Quinn Roster, the famous actor. Not Quinn Roster, the guy trying to outrun his fate. The disguise truly must have been working for no one to recognize me. I would thank Stacy later, if a later even existed for me. I checked my watch as I enjoyed the last outdoor walk I'd probably ever have. It was midnight. I walked around the park a bit more before deciding to reveal myself in front of the crowd. Clapping, cheering, autographs and pictures. I immersed myself in everything until 3 am. That was when the doubt filtered into my mind like water entering a vulnerable crack in a box. What if the deal never truly happened? What if it was a fever dream? What if the cut I woke up with was from something I stumbled into? I mean, if he had to show up, he had plenty of time to do so. Maybe, just maybe, I still had my whole life ahead of me.

As the time ticked to 4 am, I began to smile. Thank god. This was such a valuable lesson. I had been granted life. My time wasn't up. Not for a long while.

I was whistling as I walked back to my car. In another hour and a half, the sun would start to rise. Light would fill the sky, and he wouldn't be able to come. I smiled at an old woman huddled under her shop. She smiled back, crooked teeth peering out of her mouth. Getting inside the car, I started driving, humming in anticipation of the next day. Then, he spoke in a voice that chilled my veins. "You thought you were free? So naïve. I like to strike when your guard is down. More entertaining that way."

I looked behind. The old woman. I forgot - The Devil had disguises too. The old woman's teeth showed in another wide grin, transforming her face from that of a sweet old lady to the wicked witch. Vapours exhaled by her clouded my vision, easing me into a never-ending slumber as she consumed my soul. The saying was true after all.

The devil always collects his dues.