The Forest's Protection

𝙮𝙤𝙪'𝙡𝙡 𝙗𝙚 𝙨𝙖𝙛𝙚 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙨𝙚 𝙖𝙧𝙢𝙨 𝙤𝙛 𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙚

"WHERE ARE YOU going?" I heard him call after me, his footsteps not far behind.

"Anywhere but here," I answered, not looking over my shoulder.

"Well, then I'll join you," he caught up and blocked my path. He stood tall and proud, his hands resting in his pant pockets.

"I should think not," I deflected, pushing past him. Timothèe was really starting to get on my nerves. And you're telling me I was supposed to marry this man tonight? This would not have ended well.

"Oh, c'mon, Princess," he begged innocently, following beside me. "You don't have any combat skills whatsoever ever." He said, fiddling with the many rings on his long fingers. "Not to mention, you don't even have a weapon." He spoke knowing that he was right, and it aggravated me. I decided not to tell him I had a dagger in my pocket. "And that dull butter knife doesn't count," my head snapped in his direction, my eyebrows furrowed. How did he know?

"And you do?" I questioned, ignoring the last comment.

"Darling, I knew how to handle a sword before I could hold a quill," he smirked.

I started to think.

Having someone to protect me wouldn't be such a bad idea. Somebody who knew how to survive on nothing would also be rather handy. Even if that someone was a large pain in the ass, pardon my language.

"Fine." I scoffed. I sped up, I didn't want to have to listen and look at him.

———

If possible, the sky seemed to have gotten darker and the trees seemed to have gotten ticker. We had been walking for what felt like hours. My feet hurt and my legs were numb.

As we painfully walked though the deep wood, I stared down at the compass my father had handed me only hours ago. I felt some sort of satisfaction on my fingertips as I brushed them over the engravings.

Snap

I spun my head around. Had they found me? How could I have not noticed? I don't have enough energy to run. They'd catch me, for sure.

It was only Timothèe. He must've stepped on a twig. I'm not even looking at my surroundings and I haven't managed to step on one. He is so incompetent.

"Sorry," he put his hands up in defence, a joking laugh leaving his lips. I rolled my eyes and continued walking. "I suggest we make camp," he hadn't moved from where he stood. "We might even be able to start a fire." I was silent as I pondered the thought. "Sleep would do us good. We'll be able to get further with some rest." I continued to think. Maybe if he fell asleep I could run off on my own. I could leave him.