“Oh, Y/n!” Sana’s mom smiles at her from where she’s standing in the kitchen, looking like she’s preparing dinner. “You’re back?”

“Y-Yeah.” Y/n stutters. “I won’t stay too long—“

“Nonsense. You’re staying for dinner. We’re having a barbecue and Sana’s dad bought way too much meat as always. Did Roseanne leave already?”

“Yeah.” Sana says. “We’re in the garden if you need anything.”

Y/n gives Sana’s mom a smile before following her out of the house and into the garden. It’s a nice one, the grass neatly trimmed with different kinds of flowers blooming around it. There’s a single tree in the corner right next to a set of swings and it looks like they’re also growing some vegetables on the other end of it.

Sana leads Y/n to the garden swing and Y/n stares at it for too long before sitting down next to Sana, leaning down so she doesn’t hit her head on the hood of it.

Her grandparents used to have a rusty garden swing in their garden, one where the cushions were torn off and where Y/n once cut her finger on the chipped off cover and the cut got infected but they didn’t take her to a doctor until she got a fever and started getting sick—

“You gained weight.” Sana speaks up, gently rocking the swing with the foot she has placed on the floor, the other folded under her.

“Thanks.” Y/n chuckles awkwardly.

“It’s a compliment.” Sana says, her voice too quiet, too unusual for her.

“You lost weight.” Y/n says, her eyes glued to the black cushions they’re sitting on.

“Did I?” Sana asks and when Y/n looks up and meets her eyes, Sana looks so damn young and tired and all Y/n wants to do is reach out and pull her into her arms.

“You did.” She gulps. “You should take care of yourself.”

Sana hums but Y/n can’t ignore the bitter curl of her lips. “Yeah.”

“How is your arm?” Y/n remembers to ask. “And your head?”

Sana smiles and pats her head. “I’m still in one piece so… It could be worse.”

“Are you in pain?”

“Nah.” Sana shakes her head. “I have to go through another month of physiotherapy but it should be fine.” She squeezes her left shoulder and Y/n clenches her fingers into the cushions. She seriously hates thinking about Sana being so hurt, somehow glad she wasn’t there to see her in the hospital.

She doesn’t know what she would’ve done if she saw Sana like that.

“I told you to be careful.” Y/n manages to say, her heart clenching painfully when Sana stares at her with her mouth slightly agape.

“Yeah, you did.”

They fall silent again. Y/n can hear some kind of western pop song coming from inside the house, Sana’s mom shouting at her sister to turn the volume down. The neighbours next door are sitting in their garden, laughing loudly, and the garden swing is creaking with every move of Sana’s leg.

Sana’s white shorts have colourful stripes on them and Y/n finds it incredibly cute, and it’s making blush. She shakes her head to herself internally. Now is not the time to get lost in Sana.

“Sana” Y/n starts, trying to keep her voice steady. “I, uhm. I don’t really know where to start.”

“So don’t.” Sana suddenly says, not meeting Y/n’s eyes. She has a bruise on her arm and Y/n wonders where it came from. “I don’t really want you to apologize.”