𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢 | the 57th expedition

Start from the beginning

He looks at her, bewildered.

"Don't mind them," she says, quietly enough for only him to hear, "It's all right if you're feeling scared. We all are. And if it makes you feel better, I can't stop touching my hair. That's how you know it's bad."

She squeezes him gently.

Iris knew that fear more than Jean could ever imagine, and it frightens he even more the possibility of something happening to him in this expedition. She wouldn't know what to do with her life, if it did happen, and it upsets her how she has let herself care this much.

Jean's cheeks redden, and Iris realizes, feeling the nerves set in and her body heat up, too. She takes back her hand and touches her cheeks, shocked by how quickly her temperature changed.

Jean clears his throat.

"You can't get any more obvious, can you?" Connie remarks, "Seriously, Jean, it's disgusting to see you acting all lovestruck for Iris."

Sasha nods, "I actually want to throw up sometimes."

"Shut up, before I punch you both!"

"Say, Iris," Connie ignores him, raising a teasing eyebrow, "how about you and me go out on a date when we come back? If you haven't noticed, I am way better than horse-face over here will ever be. What'd you say, huh?"

"Back. Off. Springer," Jean grits through his teeth, "She'll never go out with you. Stop being delusional and focus on not getting your ass killed, before I do it myself."

There was not a single ounce of humor in his voice, Iris could tell. Instead, he was cold and distant.

Jean kept his fierce eyes on Connie, sending a trail of shivers down her arms and a jolt deep in the pit of her stomach.

Iris couldn't help but to look at him, lowering her eyes to the tense movement in his slender hands. They were gripping the reins, his knuckles slightly turning white.

A little more and Iris could've sworn he was going to cut his palm with his nails.

"Jean's right, Connie, she's way out
of your league," Sasha says, shaking her head. "Like, it's my best friend and Iris who we're talking about."

Connie's response was on the way but a near by soldier scolds all of them, telling them the gate will be open soon and to be attentive. The four quickly follow orders, as the easygoing mood had darkened.

Iris' fingers find their way to her pendant, hanging from her neck. She keeps it in her hold for a little, hoping the small pine cone serves as a good luck charm, and then shoves it inside her black shirt, to keep it safe.

She grabs the reins of her horse again.

Her chest thumps. Faster than ever.

Then, the gate lifts, and she hears Commander Erwin Smith scream, "My soldiers! Onward!"

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒ ✯ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

It wasn't long until the Scout Regiment had encountered Titans. The ruins of Wall Maria were being crushed and smashed by the man-eating creatures, taking the soldiers and horses in the process.