𝟬𝟬𝟱 Grievance.

CHAPTER FIVE  /  ACT ONE

Grievance.

                             Days slipped by as Stefan dedicated himself to training Gwen in control

                             Days slipped by as Stefan dedicated himself to training Gwen in control. In his eyes, her progress was easy. She tackled all manner of animal blood, mastering the art of hunting herself. Through it all, she never wavered, never grumbled, never refused.

That's what he believed.

But unbeknownst to him, after every meal, Gwen would find herself on the floor in the bathroom, her body wracked with sickness as she expelled the blood of innocent bunnies into the toilet bowl.

She was giving it her all, truly. But her body rebelled against the taste lingering in her mouth, the scent invading her nose, the sight staining her skin. It was the one aspect of being a vampire that made her truly sick.

Seated on the icy tiles of the bathroom floor, knees drawn tight to her chest, Gwen's lips bore the telltale stain of blood. With a deep breath, a groan escaped her as she shuddered.

Slowly, she uncurled her legs, pushing herself up from the floor. She wiped the fresh blood from her lips with the sleeve off her sleeve, thankful for her red blouse.

Exiting the bathroom and slipping out of the guest bedroom, Gwen descended the stairs into the kitchen.

Her gaze fixed on Damon, who stood at the stove, frying something. She froze in her tracks, observing in silence. Following Stefan's advice to steer clear of him, especially after he'd caught her in her moment of weakness, she'd gone to great lengths to maintain her distance.

The greater the distance between them, the better.

"You gonna say something or just keep staring?" Damon's voice cut through the air, without a glance over his shoulder. "I promise, I look better up close."

A faint blush tinged Gwen's cheeks as he flirted, a familiar tactic that never failed to disarm her.

Shaking her head slowly, she settled onto a seat at the kitchen island opposite from him. Damon stole a brief glance at her before returning his attention to the sizzling pan of pancakes.