He dug the heavy box out of the closet, lugged it downstairs, and toted it out the back door to the fire pit. It took a little while to get the fire going with the wood wet from recent rain, but eventually, he had one prepared for the task. He unsealed the box, intending to grab the top book and begin, finally, to erase his life.

It should have surprised him to hear the footsteps behind him, but it didn't. He felt Lassiter's presence before he turned to find the angel walking toward him in shockingly normal apparel.

Night sighed. "Why are you here?"

Lassiter's eyebrows arched. "I'm here to remember."

"Again, why?"

"Because you are loved? Because people need you? Because you're enough and you deserve some happiness? Any number of reasons, I suppose." Lassiter stopped at the fire and held his hands to the heat; it was still chilly to most people.

Night scowled. "You're wrong."

"You made Tarra cry."

Night's breath hitched at the mention of Tarra. He cleared his throat as if to speak but found no words. What did one say to that?

Shoving his hands in his pockets, Lassiter continued while watching the fire. "Rhet read your book. He was going to try and contact you, but Ace changed his mind."

Night coughed. "Ace would be the only one who understands my wishes then."

"Not true. We all understand, we just don't agree. At least that was true until they forgot you."

"That's not on me."

The angel allowed an uncomfortable silence to grow for a time. Night wanted to say something, anything, but was too empty for words.

Lassiter filled in the silence. "Tarra is struggling. She has lost nearly her entire life because her memories of you are gone. Vicktor has been running tests to try and figure out the amnesia because they don't know."

Night coughed. A wave of guilt washed over him, but he pushed it aside. "I know it's been long enough for everyone to forget. Why didn't you?"

"I did forget. But, before I did, I wrote myself a note and had it scheduled to be delivered at a future date. The Directrix handed it to me about an hour ago. I came to investigate."

"Well, you can go back." He turned to his box of books and picked up the top one. He opened it, prepared to rip pages and toss them into the flames, when a letter slid out. He knew it was Tarra's handwriting the moment he spied the beautiful loopy cursive on the envelope.

He felt Lassiter's eyes on him as he tucked the book under his arm and opened the envelope. When he pulled out the letter and unfolded it, her scent hit him. The emotions that surged were enough to cause him to search out a nearby chair. His hands shook as he held the letter and began to read.

Night,

I don't know if I will still remember you when you find this. If I don't, I hope you will come and see me and remind me of you.

I have decided to leave the Sanctuary, and the Primale has permitted me to live with Hatrhed in South Carolina. I don't yet know what I will be doing, but I can no longer be your Scribe.

You see, Scribes are not allowed to become emotionally invested in their work. But, this is no longer the case for me. Where I should be impartial and objective, I experience heartache and longing when it comes to you. I want to be a part of your story, not the one who records it.

I can't bear to return to simply watching you, and so I have stopped. There is no one save me and Lassiter who remember you now. I want you to come back. I don't want to forget you forever. Please don't take your memories from me. I want to be in your life and share it with you. If you ever felt the same, even in some small part, come back.