Chapter 20

Cathy arranged for them to see a newly remodeled, two-story colonial with a wrap-around porch. Night appreciated the open layout of the great room and kitchen and the bonus room over the garage. The land was heavily wooded, creating a layer of privacy.

"I like it. We'll put in an offer," Night announced to the realtor. "Cathy will be handling the transaction while I'm away on business."

"Great!" the realtor, a small woman who might have been all of five-foot one-inch and a hundred pounds. "What would you like to offer?"

Night wandered away as Cathy put in the bid. He stepped out on the back deck and surveyed the land, enjoying the warmth of the winter sun. After a few minutes, he heard Cathy follow him.

"It's a nice house," she said. "I think you'll like it here."

Night smiled. "Buy the land next door, too, and let's build you a place."

She chuckled. "I've arranged to buy the land for myself. You pay well. I can afford it. However, I need a place to stay while the house is built."

He hugged her. "You can stay here with us, of course." He felt her stiffen, and he pulled back to look at her. "What?"

She cupped his cheek. "I—I want to be clear where we stand. I'm not looking for a domestic situation here." She sighed. "I really like you, Night. I do. But I don't love you. I think us setting up a house together wouldn't be good for us."

He blinked. "I've met someone," he blurted. "Sort of."

Cathy's eyes widened as she pulled away. "Wow. That didn't take long! It must not be anything serious, though, given the way you fucked me earlier."

He shoved his hands in his pockets. "Well, she doesn't really know I'm interested... and I'm not sure she's interested in me. I just thought I should say something if I were going to pursue it, you know?"

She smiled. "You're a good person, Night."

He tucked a wayward strand of hair behind her ear. "You're one of the best friends I've had, Cathy."

She took his hand and kissed it. "Thank you for that." She stepped in for another hug, one that he was happy to oblige. "I'll look for an apartment or something tomorrow."

"Don't. Let me talk to Hatrhed and see if Ace and I can live at the farm while your house is built. Then, you can live here."

She looked at him. "Really? That would be amazing!"

"Good! It's settled. Now, hire a decorator to help furnish this place. I don't much care what it looks like as long as it isn't pink."

She laughed. "I know you better than that! Now, let's walk through again, and you can tell me how you want the spaces used."

Night knocked on the door jamb to Hatrhed's office to get her attention

Night knocked on the door jamb to Hatrhed's office to get her attention. When she looked up from whatever enthralled her on the computer, he asked, "You got a minute?"