She watched in defeat as her shackles were bolted to the floor of the skiff right beside Alina, whose ankles were cuffed to the wood. The two girls looked to each other warily, but Malakai gave the Sun Summoner a reassuring look. You aren't alone. Alina returned a small comforting smile. But that moment soon faded as Kirigan stood between the two.

Alina spoke lowly, anger in her expression. "This isn't a good look for you. Everyone will see that I'm your prisoner. And that your own daughter, the princess of Ravka, is in shackles, and muzzled like a dog."

Kirigan scoffed, walking around to stand behind Alina. He leant down to speak quietly. "I doubt they will notice her once you show them what you can do. And I doubt very much they'll notice your feet." Pulling her coat off to reveal a golden dress embroidered with black swirls.

Malakai's eyes widened at the antlers that protruded from her collarbone, looking between Alina and Kirigan's hand. Two amplifiers from one animal? How is that possible? Fear filled her rib cage as she realised the depth of what her father had planned.
A bridge between two summoners. She stared up at the Fold with defiance. Malakai was going to make it home to her friends. To Kaz. The ripped up butterfly in her pocket felt warm on her leg.

Little did Malakai know, they stood at the back of the skiff watching her like crows.

"Good news? It's just as terrifying as I remember."
Jesper muttered to the two.

Inej shuffled uncomfortably on her feet. "Except this time we're going in completely exposed. And with two Shadow Summoners. The Volcra will come swarming."

Kaz finally, but reluctantly, turned his attention away from Malakai. "Well, lets hope your Sun Summoner is the real thing."

"If I'm meant to die today, and either of you two survive, make sure I have an open casket." Jesper spoke.

Kaz's jaw tensed as he looked back over to Malakai's figure. "No one's dying today... No mourners."

"No funerals."

Then they disappeared into the lower deck. Truth be told, Kaz didn't know if what he said was true. He was mostly trying to reassure himself. But for the first time, the Bastard of the Barrell couldn't predict what would come next. This was different territory. One of his Crows, his Phantom, was being held captive by General Kirigan. Her words echoed in his ears.

"Promise me that if anything happens... If I do something bad, you'll run. Take Inej and Jesper home. Leave and don't look back."

"Promise me you'll think about yourself for once."

But he could never leave her behind. He didn't want to wait with his door wide open for her to come home. The only way he could ever be separated from her was in death. And even then, he would search for her in every life time. What was he going to do? His head raced with thoughts. He squeezed his eyes shut when he realised he didn't have an answer.

Malakai closed her eyes as the skiff began moving forwards in the sand, the darkness of the Fold immediately enveloping them in cold air. She kept her eyes trailed on the wooden floor as they travelled in complete silence, her ears searched for sounds in the shadows.

General Kirigan had taken his spot between the two girls again. Staring straight ahead. "Can you feel them?"

Ivan answered from behind them. "No heartbeats yet, sir."