eight. sleepless night

Start from the beginning

Night had fallen over the town and the Crows separated to look for the Sun Summoner. She couldn't have made it far. But as the Phantom climbed from roof to roof, she sighed in defeat after finding no leads. Dropping down, she entered the tavern through the front door, accepting the warm air against her icy cheeks. Quickly climbing up the stairs she quietly approached the open door, warm orange light flowed onto the dark wood. Kaz, sat at the desk in deep thought, snapped his head around at the creak of a floorboard. Sighing in relief at the sight of the Phantom in the doorway.

Pulling her makeshift hood made from a scarf off, she sat down on the edge of the bed to face him.
"You really need to start closing the door behind you."

Malakai shoots up straight in her bed, the image of a man on top of her still seared into her brain. She fell to the floor, tangled in her sheets, she kicked furiously against them like they were ravenous animals dragging her away. Feeling the grip loosen she scrambled up to her feet and paced the length of her room. Flashes of light, of memories bursted behind her eyelids. She pushed her hands into her hair, tugging harshly against the roots. Her lungs heaved for air. It felt like she was drowning. Stumbling to her door in the dark, she yanked it open and winced at the sudden burst of light in the hallway. Stepping forward she leaned her hands against Kaz's doorframe, breathing in and out before knocking on the door.

"Who is it?" His voice was muffled. The silence that followed confirmed to him who was behind the door. Standing from his bed he pulled his door open. His tired eyes were met by Malakai's frantic ones.

She stepped back, signing to him. "I'm sorry."

He watched her carefully. Kaz saw himself in her panic. She looked scared, as if she couldn't tell the difference between what was a trick of her mind and what was reality.

"Come on. You can stay in here tonight."

Malakai curled herself under his blankets, savouring the warmth. Cold tears soaked into the sheets. She breathed in the smell of dark amber and leather. It smelled like peace.

When Kaz climbed into bed the next night he inhaled the smell of warm rain and lavender. It smelled like home.

He kept his door open.

Studying the frown on his face, one creeped onto her own. "What's wrong?"

"She let her go." He looked down at his cane. "And you could've stopped her from going."

Malakai stayed silent for a minute, thinking carefully. "She was scared. She's may be a Saint but... she's also just a girl, Kaz."

"And we have everything to lose, Malakai. If we go back to Ketterdam without her, we won't have a home to go back to. Tante Heleen would own the club."

"Why would Heleen own the Crow Club?" Malakai moved closer to him.

Kaz didn't answer.

Leaning back in realisation, Malakai gasped. "Collateral. You used the club as collateral in exchange for Inej. That's a big sacrifice, Kaz."

She watched as he stood abruptly, storming to the door. "Come on, Inej and Jesper should be back."

Malakai sighed watching his back retreat away from her. Looking down at her hand, she twisted the ring her had given her on her finger. She couldn't stay here, she couldn't go home. But she would follow him wherever they would go. She would follow him to the end.