Chapter 40: Emily

Start from the beginning

"Damn, you look fucking amazing." His voice was low and raspy. Then he wrapped his arm around my waist and crushed his lips to mine. My arms locked around his neck, hungrily kissing him back. For a moment, everything was perfect. I was at my twenty-first birthday party, wrapped in my boyfriend's arms.

"WHAT THE FUCK!" Our moment was broken by Lucy's screams. He pulled back from me and raised his eyebrow. I knew exactly what he was asking me without him saying a word. I nodded. He linked his hand with mine and turned around to face Lucy. Her face was red and her fists were clenched. Several party goers had stopped their conversations to stare at her.

"HOW COULD YOU!" She stomped her foot and crossed her arms over her chest. Casey came up beside her and sighed, shaking her head at me. I shrugged and gave her a half smile. "Jay, why are you kissing her?"

"Because, Lucy." He squeezed my hand and smiled at me. "Emily is my girlfriend." Just hearing him say those words had my heart soaring. We were standing in the middle of a crowded room and he was holding my hand. My boyfriend had kissed me in front of everyone.

"No...no...no..." Lucy shook her head. "I'm your girlfriend."

"No, you're not. I've been telling you this for quite some time now."

"You're all I ever wanted."

If this had been any other situation, I might have felt sorry for Lucy. Tears sprung to her eyes and she took a step closer to us. That movement and the hate in her eye when she glared at me made me flinch and move a little closer to Jay.

"It's over, Lucy. It's been over." His voice was calm and collected. "You need to accept that and move on.

"Why her?" Lucy spat, narrowing her eyes at me. "What does she have that I don't?"

He raised an eyebrow at her, then smiled over at me. His arms went around my waist and he pulled me into his side.

"Everything, Lucy. Everything." He answered her, but his eyes were on me. My heart fluttered as his adoration poured out of his eyes. He leaned forward as if to kiss me.

"It's been her all along, hasn't it?" Lucy wasn't done yet. "Right under my nose. I was wrong. You are the biggest slut I've ever met." I pressed even closer into Jay, the fear overriding the euphoria.

"Lucy," Jay bellowed at her. "Stop this." Casey placed a hand on her shoulder, trying to draw her away.

"Come on, Lucy. Let's go outside." She shrugged Casey off her.

"I love you, Jay." Tears welled up in her eyes and a lump formed in my throat. I clenched his hand tighter. I wanted to hold on to him because I still feared he would succumb to her pleading.

"No, you don't."

"You don't get to tell me how I feel." She stomped her foot and crossed her arms. She turned her gaze back to me, staring at me with cold, dark eyes. "Why him? You could have had anyone. Why did it have to be him?"

"Because," I stared up at him. "It was him I fell in love with." I watched the huge grin spread across his face. He gathered me in his arms and brought our lips together. Fireworks exploded inside me, as he pushed his hands into my hair, deepening our kiss. I hadn't meant to say that. It just came out. However, it was the truth.

"I hate you! I hate you both." Lucy's screams faded away as he ended our kiss and smiled at me.

"Well, that went better than expected." Joe slapped Jay on the shoulder, bringing us both back to the party. "Now, where do you think Mia got off too?" He rubbed his hands together and went off in what I guessed was a search for Mia. I would question why that was at a later time.