Chapter 22

Katerina P.O.V
It's the next morning. I'm sitting on the floor in front of Lexa waiting for anything to show she'll wake up soon. I was in Enid's bed last night watching her trying to fall asleep, but I couldn't, so I watched and waited for the daybreak. I pretended to be asleep when Enid woke up, not wanting to worry her. I hear the door open from behind me, but I don't bother to look. "Kat, you can't stay here forever. I know you and Lexa are dating, and you're worried. -We're not dating." I look at the candles watching the fire flicker. I don't bother to look at Enid when she comes in, and I don't bother when she sits down beside me. "I see the way y'all look at each other. She looks at you like you're the only one in the world." She looks at you the same way Enid… you and Wednesday. "And that's amazing, but I don't think she wants you wasting away in this room worried about her." I know she's right, but it doesn't make it easier to leave her here alone. "I don't want her to wake up all alone. I don't want her to think we left her here and that we don't care about her." I feel Enid's hand on mine rubbing her thumb softly over my knuckles.

"I know, but I think she would rather be alone than have you stay here. -I hate to admit it, but she's not wrong. Lexa wouldn't want you here." I turn my head to find Wednesday standing behind us. I tilt my head up to make eye contact with her. I look at her face to see it void of emotion, but when I look into her eyes, there is a faint look of sadness and despair. 'I guess they're right. The eyes are the gateway to the soul.' I look away from them and look at Lexa to see her chest rise up and down. "You're right. But even if I leave, where do I go?" I tap my fingers on the wooden floor, watching as my nails hit the wood.  "Why don't you hang out with Wednesday." I look at Enid furrowing my eyebrows. "N-not that I d-don't want you with me, but I'm hanging out with Y-Yoko and our friends. I d-don't think you want to hang out with us." I watch as Enid stutters trying to reassure me that she does want me around.

"Enid breath… I understand, and you're right. I don't feel like being surrounded by too many people." I look to Wednesday to see what she thinks, but when I feel 'Thing' tap on my hand, I look down at him to see him signing to me. 'You can stick with us. I'm going to need moral support to get through the day with her.' I smile at 'Thing' as they scurry off from Wednesday's heated glare and take great joy in Wednesday's disdain. "Let me get dressed real quick… and thank you Wednesday and Enid." I climb up the stairs, grabbing a pair of ripped jeans and a shirt and tossing them on, real quick. I slipped my shoes on, but before leaving, I grabbed one of Lexa's hoodies, hoping she wouldn't mind. I climb down the stairs, seeing Wednesday waiting with Enid. Wednesday turns around when she sees me going to the door. I follow her, waving behind Enid. "Have fun, ladies!"

                  ~The Gates Mansion~

I don't know why we are at the Gates Mansion, but I'm not going to ask. I don't want to irritate Wednesday or get on her nerves, but lucky for me, 'Thing' explains to me why we were here. The vision Wednesday had on her birthday celebration made Goody show her the front of the Gates Mansion. Wednesday takes out a piece of paper and unfolds it, showing a drawing of the Gates' gate. "This is where Garrett Gates lived. The boy Lexa and my father were accused of murdering. The sheriff told me his family died, along with their legacy of hate." Wednesday says, going to the gates, seeing there's a lock on the chains that are supposed to keep it closed is unlocked. Wednesday opens the gate going in with me following behind her. "But ghosts don't kill the living. Goody showed me this house for a reason. I need to unlock its secrets or die trying." We walked down the broken path, getting to the door. "You're not going to die, especially if we have any say in it." I was about to open the door when a figure moved behind the door, making Wednesday, and I hid behind a couple of bushes.

I heart seeds up, but not for the reason you think my back is pressed up on Wednesday's front. We didn't realize the position we were in until the mayor got out of the building, making it too late to move in case we stepped on a branch. "We need a distraction." 'Thing' climbs off Wednesday's shoulder to distract the mayor, and when the mayor was further down the road, Wednesday got off of me a little. "Sheriff, pick up your damn phone, it's Noble. Listen, I might have figured out who's behind all of this." I spot 'Thing' in a tree flicking a rock at the mayor. "It's a long shot. I'm gonna have to lay it out for you." The mayor turns around his back, facing us, making us quietly run to his car. "We'll do it over pie at the Weathervane, just like the old days. See you soon." We made it to the back of the mayor's car, opened the trunk of his car, and got in as quietly and as quickly as we could without making him suspicious. We climbed into his truck, but before we closed it, we made sure 'Thing' got in. The truck was a little crowded, but we made it work… somehow.