Chapter Twelve

Gunner has found the controls for the projector screen. I'm not quite sure what we're watching, but it seems to be an old film of sorts. An adventure, by the looks of the characters and the story.

"This is great," Gunner says, chuckling as he chomps on a meal bar.

"I'm struggling to see the appeal," I reply, mixing us each a cup of powdered fruit drink I found in the kitchen. "So, tell me. Have you thought about sleeping arrangements? This place could fit three small families in each room, and they would be very comfortable."

"You get the first pick on bedrooms... If we do stay here on a permanent basis, I think you should choose where Phoenix and your mother will stay. It doesn't have to be now, but it is something to have in mind."

I nod, sighing as I stare at the screen. The sunlight is beginning to fade as shadows fill the room. There is a lamp in the corner, casting a yellowish glow on the floor. I suppose I am more tired than I realize because I lean my head onto Gunner's shoulder and yawn.

"I'll take the first room," I mutter as another yawn escapes me. "It's a little bigger than I am used to, but it will do... As long as you promise to be close by."

"I'll be in the room across the hall," he says with a soft chuckle.

Gunner says something else, but I don't catch it as I am lulled to sleep.

Warmth. Gentle whistling.

As I open my eyes, these are the contributing sensations to help me recognize the fact I am not with my family. The warmth is coming from a nearby window as the sun shines through. A sweet little bird sitting on the other side of the glass, singing. An actual bird, singing. If the world were at war, this bird would be hiding.I sit and watch the little creature with my knees tucked close to my chest. It's so peaceful and stable; the ground has not rattled or vibrated at all and it is such a welcome sensation.

"Hey."

I look to the bedroom door as Gunner enters with his hands in his pockets. He looks well-rested and pleased to see me.

"Sleep alright?" he asks, sitting on the edge of the large bed.

"The bed is very big," I reply, nodding. "Different than the one I have at the Bunker. But yes, I slept well. What's the goal for today?"

"We're going to walk around and get a look at the sights."

"We also need to find the person who initiated Exit Protocol. Alison won't reveal their identity until we find them."

"Yeah."He moves close, mirroring my ball-like position; he's barefoot. Our arms are touching, and the sun is not reaching above the trees outside.

"We were born in that Bunker," I say, leaning into Gunner's side. "Dreaming of the day we could wake up and look at the sky... The dream seemed so far-fetched once."