Chapter Eleven

Sandra is a spry woman with a skip in her step. She offers us refreshments and snacks, asking and answering questions as she bustles around her very fancy kitchen. Of course, I hold back asking about her work status. Things are different in the Bunker.

"I was a little girl when my mother told me Exit Protocol was in effect," she says with a heavy sigh. "It took nearly three weeks for us to reach the surface. As surprising as this might sound, my family lived on the first Level, but we were the last to leave. The Elites were escorted first, and then all the Levels emptied from lower to higher. Though it's not all that different from the way an airplane is emptied. Back to front."

"Airplanes," I say, incredulous. "Our Bunker thinks they haven't been used since before the war."

"Wow, you truly have been out of the loop... I am truly not surprised your Bunker Elites have done this to you. Our sponsors withheld much-needed medical supplies."

"Sounds like something ours would do, too," Gunner says, leaning his arms on the table next to mine. "We were in training to become Surface Workers on Elite Level rotation."

"I wasn't old enough to work when we left," Sandra says, shaking her head. "Okay; so, now that you're above ground and capturing your video evidence... What's next for the two of you?"

"We need to get what we have to our..." I glance at Gunner, hoping he can fill in the blank.

"Informant," he says, nodding. "We've been taking video for a few hours. The lack of bombing is enough to make Bunker occupants ask questions. Though some might be skeptical at first. I certainly was when I heard it."

"Okay, did your informant give you instructions on how to send the footage back?" she asks with a genuine gaze. "I assume neither of you wants to go back down there."

I sigh, "I have instructions, but I am not at liberty to share those details right now. And I do believe there is more footage to capture before sending it to our informant."

Sandra nods, "Alright, then I suppose you haven't found yourself a place to stay. I would offer my guest rooms but I have guests. Everyone is at the park right now for a local soccer game."

"If you point us in the right direction," Gunner says rising from his chair. "We'll find lodging somewhere."

"Yeah, we don't want to inconvenience anyone," I add, shaking my head as I follow his lead.

"I know of a place you can live in. It's been vacant for a few years now and the previous owner isn't returning."

Better than sleeping on the ground.

The house Sandra has in mind is only a block away from her home

The house Sandra has in mind is only a block away from her home. Gunner and I decide to keep walking; I'm not sure I want to ride in Sandra's "sports car" anyway.

"May I ask how you have access to the property?" I say as Sandra presses a button on a little remote she is pointing at a large gate.

"My husband and I were friends with the family who lived here," she replies, placing the remote in Gunner's hand. "They left the place in our care and do with what we please. I thought about renovating and selling, this makes better sense."