"Ah, you will be staying in the flat above the bookstore. You're not the first guest to stay there."

I remembered reading on the bookstore's website how the owners of the bookshop rented out the apartment to guests. In exchange, the guests would help out around the shop. I guess that's what I was meant to do now.

"How much do you know about the shop?" I asked, now intrigued. The incentive to help out at the shop had drawn me in, and it was my dream to run my own bookstore some day.

"Quite a bit, actually. It's been in the MacLeod family for generations, now run by Angus's son."

"Wait a minute. Angus MacLeod?" I leaned forward in my seat. "The Angus MacLeod?" Angus MacLeod was the editor of a major newspaper in Scotland. He had connections all over the UK. How had I not seen the connection before?

"Yes." Lachlan veered the car into the next lane over. "I take it you are familiar?"

Familiar was an understatement. "Yeah, I've been trying to get an entry in for years. Maybe that's why I was picked to come here?"

"Possibly." Lachlan glanced at me through the rearview mirror. "Although, most folks who come to stay are just here for vacations and they go through a screening application process. You are the first that the family hadn't been in contact with before arriving."

I frowned. "So they really didn't know I was coming?"

"Not until the other day. If you were directed here, there had to be a reason, aye?"

"Yeah." I leaned back and pursed my lips in thoughts. The question remained as the car drove away from the highway, past the rolling green hills illuminated by the early morning light that began to touch over the horizon.

Who had sent me here? And why?

After closing my eyes for what seemed like only seconds again, the car rolled to a stop. I rubbed my eyes and stretched as Lachlan lifted my suitcase out and opened the door for me.

"Here we are," Lachlan said. "He should be out in a minute."

I looked up at the building in awe. It was even more beautiful in person. But with the earliness of the hour, there was not a single soul in sight.

Wait a minute. Did Lachlan say 'he'? Someone else was coming to meet me?

Without missing a beat, I said, "Thank you. I hope I'm not waking anyone by arriving so early."

"Not at all," a new voice chimed in. "I was already awake. Perks of insomnia I guess."

I turned at the sound of the new voice, my heart thudding in my chest. The man gave me a tired smile.

This must be who Lachlan was talking about.

"Are you, um—" I glanced at the card that came with the plane ticket again. Fionn MacLeod, it said. My eyes widened. How was that pronounced? Fee-on? Fi-on? "'Finn'?" I asked.

The man scoffed lightly. "In Scotland, it's pronounced 'Fe-yon'." The word rolled off his tongue in one breath. "Americans always botch the name. But yes, I'm Fionn. Nice to meet you." He stuck out his hand to greet me.

Great first impression, Emilie.

I shook his hand, feeling the rough calluses against his skin. "Emilie. I-I'm staying here I think."

"Yes." He dug out a key. "Emilie Taylor, right?"

I nodded. At least he knew who I was, which had to mean I was expected. So whoever had sent me the ticket must've informed him as well.

"Good." Fionn turned to Lachlan. "Thank you, Lachlan. That'll be all for tonight."

Lachlan tipped his hat at us. "Good night."

"Come, I'll help you get set up," Fionn said when we were alone. He pulled my suitcase behind him and I hurried after him, only stopping once in awe as we entered the bookstore. "The door on the right is the office. You're not to go in there. Up the stairs and to your left is the flat. Here are your keys: one for your room, one for the shop. Get changed into something comfortable and we'll go for a walk."

I opened my mouth to protest, but he'd already unlocked the door to the apartment and started down the stairs.

He turned around when he reached the landing, smirking at the look on my face. "You'll thank me later."

I nodded. "Give me five minutes."

"Sure, love. Oh, and welcome to Scotland."