Chapter 2

Flashback continued

                "Is something wrong?"

                Mr. Blackbourne slid his glasses back on and gave a short cough. Looking up at me, he started speaking. "Miss Sorenson, it is my understanding that you are interested in joining the Academy. Is that still the case?"

                "Yes, it is. That is, if I can. Yes," I cut myself off, knowing that I was rambling a bit.

                "Good. Now I don't know if it was explained to you yet, but typically teams are either all male or all female, although there are some couples teams that will be a mix of both."

                "I wouldn't want to be on anyone's team but yours!"

                "Damn straight, Baby," North grumbled and I could hear a few others mumbling their agreement.

                "I understand, Miss Sorenson. That being the case, a couple months ago North and I went to visit the only team that has successfully introduced a female, who are known as birds within the Academy, into an all-male, or dog, team. We spoke to the team lead, a man by the name of Harry Anderson. He explained that many other teams have tried to do what they've accomplished and that none were successful. I asked him what made his team different. He directed us over to a grouping of pictures that he had on a shelf."

                At this point, North stood up and started pacing behind the couch, doing nothing to help my anxiety. Gabriel was staring at my face while shoving his hands through his hair. Kota and Victor wouldn't meet my eye but I could hear Kota quietly counting and Victor was tapping his fingers on his knee. Luke seemed spaced out as usual and Nathan had his fists clenched. I could hear that both Silas and Dr. Sean's breathing had grown a bit heavier. I had no idea where this conversation was heading but I shake slightly after seeing their reactions.

                Smoothing his hand down his tie, Mr. Blackbourne continued. "What we saw surprised us both. It was a series of wedding photographs, and it took us a moment to understand what he was showing us. You see, each picture had a different gentleman but the woman didn't change. When we looked back over at Harry, he confirmed that their group was successful because they are all in love with the same woman and she loved all of them in return. Other dog teams have failed to bring a bird in because of jealousy with their girlfriends or wives, but for the Andersons there is no other outside involvement. They're married and she spends time with each." He had been looking at a point slightly above my head but now he met my eyes pointedly. "Miss Sorenson, do you understand what I'm trying to tell you?"

                I knew my eyes were slightly unfocused and my ears had started ringing. I could feel Dr. Sean's hands tighten on my hips. When I didn't respond immediately, Mr. Blackbourne continued.

                "I have spoken with each member of my team individually and again as a whole. Everyone in this room wants to give this method a chance. Would you be adverse to all of us courting you and trying to win your heart?" I continued to sit there mutely. "I know this is unorthodox but I believe this is the best way for the team to move forward with you as part of our family."