Chapter 12

Owen's POV

I listen for the door to close as the rest of them left. Taking off my glasses again, I set them on the table while I rubbed my eyes and then pinch the bridge of my nose. That went about as well as could be expected, but I'm guessing most of them are still in shock from the news. I'm not sure if the meeting at 2 will go as well. Putting my glasses back on, I look over to where Sean still sits next to me at the dining room table. He's wiping his face on the bottom of his shirt to get rid of the rest of the tears that had been there.

"Well that was fun," he says before picking up his plate and mine to carry them into the kitchen. "I would have appreciated some warning, you know."

Grabbing our discarded coffee cups, I follow him and throw them away in the garbage can outside the pantry. "I know, I'm sorry. I wanted to tell you beforehand but honestly I'm still off kilter from seeing her last night, having to take her to that damn party, and learning about the mission today."

"I understand. I don't know how you did it, how you were able to control yourself enough to act like a human being and escort her out. I'm glad you're the one that got the call yesterday because I think any of the rest of us would still be standing on her porch with a dumb look on our faces if she had opened that door to us," he says while chuckling.

I let out a laugh as well. "To be honest, I was the same way. If she hadn't started rambling and then slammed the door in my face, I'm not sure how long it would've taken me to snap out of it."

We head into the living room where he flops down on the couch and I sit in my favorite chair.

"She slammed the door on you??? You're kidding!" At that he starts all out laughing.

"Yeah, I guess she was as surprised to see me as I was to see her."

"I bet!" Letting out a final laugh, I can see his face sobering up. "So she's still beautiful, huh?"

"Even more so now than she was, believe it or not," I say.

"Damn. I can't believe she's back. This is really going to shake things up, you know that right?"

"I know," I respond.

Leaning his head on the arm of the couch, he looks over at me. "About this mission tonight, I'll come but I can't be on the front lines. Not anymore. I'll play watchdog and offer medical assistance if needed, but I can't go in. I can't take that risk."

"I understand. Thank you for coming, I wasn't sure you would."

"Ha! Somebody's gotta watch out for the rest of you fools!" he says on another chuckle.

I look over at my best friend, my brother, and I know I can't keep this secret any longer. I feel my stomach start to churn. "Sean, I need to tell you something."

"Anything, you know that. But if you're going to tell me you're still in love with her, I already know."

This throws me for a loop. "What?"

"C'mon, Owen. I know how hard it is for you to open yourself up to someone, and as far as I know the only two people that you've ever opened up to are me and that beautiful 16 year old girl. I remember the way you'd look at her when no one else was watching, and you haven't looked at anyone else like that, no matter how many women we've thrown at you," he says while giving me a smug look.