four

"Since you're going to be joining us, I thought it would be a good idea for you to learn to use our vertical maneuvering gear," Commander Hange explained happily. 

"Sure," I shrugged, replying to their display with a smile. 

"Eren personally asked to help you," they added.

"Oh," I let out. "That's nice, I guess."

"Come to the yard after you've finished."

I gave them a slight nod, finishing the last bite of bread that I was given for breakfast. I slowly sipped on my drink, careful not to choke. 

Once I was done, I did as told and found myself walking towards the yard outside. I saw Eren's figure near what looked like two poles connected by dark straps. It somewhat reminded me of the swings at kids' playgrounds back in Marley. I approached him, earning a soft smile from him. 

"Am I supposed to go in that?" I gave a disgusted look. "It looks like a torture machine," my lips frowned as I looked at the thing and then back at him. 

"Don't worry, it'll be fine," he assured but it felt a little dismissive to me. 

"For your information, I just finished eating-"

"Don't worry, this is just for you to learn to balance," he let out a small chuckle. 

"God, okay," I nervously accepted. 

Firstly, he explained to me how it works and what exactly I was supposed to do. Then he added, "But in the end, it depends on skills." 

As if that would help me relax. 

But I took his advice and tried it myself. And surprisingly enough, I managed to balance myself. 

"Woah, this is actually kinda cool!" I exclaimed.

"See, you're good at it," he said a little excitedly. 

"Yeah, I'm actually good at- Woah-"

I was almost too hung up on the excitement that I had forgotten the moment. I would've fallen forward had it not been for my legs lifting up to reinstate my balance. 

My fingers gripped tightly by the sides to maximize my stability. And I would've fallen had it not been for his hands on my waist, holding me up. 

"Sorry," I sheepishly let out. 

"It's fine," he shook his head lightly. "Do you wanna get out and try again?" 

He was close to me. 

I lifted up my head slightly just so our eyes could meet. And maybe at the moment, it meant nothing. 

Not yet, at least

But I liked his eyes. They were green, with specks of blue hue. In some lighting, they might even look turquoise. But more than the color, I admired the softness behind them as he looked at me. 

Still, it meant nothing to me at the time. 

"Yes, please," I nodded with a smile. 

And he allowed me to try again. And again. And again. Until I felt satisfied with my own performance. Since he himself wouldn't display his satisfaction verbally, only asking me if I was done or if I wanted to try again. 

Just that day, that's all we did.