three

I almost missed the signal, my mind warped up in the entire situation. Was I really back in my so-called hometown? Supporting the massacre of innocent people? 

I would've understood if he attacked the military. I would've supported him then. I would've defended him, then. 

I knew I would've. 

But the sight I behold right in front of me, it was too far. I never cared about people before, I know. But this was too far. They were innocent people, children. 

Wasn't it bad enough that they had been treated like trash, and discriminated against for the sake of the race they were born into? But now, they had to die? 

And the worst part was that I didn't understand why. In the letters he sent us, his words were borderline senseless. Maybe if he explained it all to us properly, I would understand

And I would defend him. 

But now wasn't the time to dwell on him. I had to defend him. 

My gear worked well under my touch as I reviewed the lessons I earned from him years prior. My arms moved constantly as I sent Thunder Spears to anyone who dared fight back. 

I didn't know how long I had been moving, non-stop sending men to their deaths. But then again, these were the very same people who found a use for me in the pits of their underworld. 

And when I heard the airship's arrival, I was unsure if I felt relieved or a little upset. Either way, I followed as planned, finding ways to reach the ship. Once I managed to touch the landing, Armin greeted me with a hand stretched out. 

I let our hands connect, using my energy to push myself while he simultaneously pulled me upward. I sent him a small smile before going further into the ship. I made eye contact with Captain Levi before my eyes turned left. 

"Freya, it's good to see you," Zeke Jaeger greeted, his body emitting steam from regeneration. 

"Wish I could say the same thing," I sighed with a soft smile. 

Just a second later, I heard another zap from behind. I turned to see Mikasa entering the ship while Armin helped him

The very one I seek for. 

Eren was on his knees, his arms holding him up from the ground. 

"Damn, you're a filthy sight," Captain Levi said, nearing Eren. "Did you fall into a pile of shit, Eren?" 

Under normal circumstances, I would've found that funny. But instead, all I felt now was a slight tint of betrayal, mixed with a sense of longingness. 

"Captain," Eren drawled out, his voice deeper than what I remembered hearing the first night we met. 

I had to stand by and watch as the Captain kicked Eren to the wall. I wished I could fight for him, but what am I even fighting for? 

I stood idly by beside Armin and Mikasa, just watching the scene unfolding before us. Moments after Eren was properly tied up, my head snapped to the right. Specifically, the direction of the next carriage. 

Noticing my unsettlement, Armin asked, "What's wrong?" 

"I heard a gunshot," I said, a little unsure of myself but I was confident I heard something. 

The uneasy feeling was contagious to the others as they joined me in keeping our guards up. Suddenly, the door that connected the carriages slid open, earning everyone's eyes. 

Well, almost everyone

I took the chance to look at him. At his eyes

And as if he knew my intentions, his gaze immediately lowered, never once allowing me to view. Feeling defeated, I turned to Jean who was holding two kids by their shoulders. I recognized almost immediately who they were.