“I told you I forgot my phone at home.” Y/n whispers.

“What about last night, then? You left without a word.”

“You were with Roseanne.”

Sana hesitates before speaking again. “And you were with Jihyo. As always.”

Y/n gives her a confused look. She doesn’t know how to deal with Sana when she’s like this. She seems angry.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Do you have feelings for her now?” Sana suddenly asks. Y/n’s head snaps up, her eyebrows drawn together in confusion.

Y/n opens her mouth, completely baffled at Sana’s words. “What? Jihyo?”

How on earth can Sana ask her something like that?

“You spent the whole night with her. And I know you guys have been hanging out a lot.”

“Sana—” She starts, her thoughts jumbling together horribly. She can’t really think straight. Her mind’s racing, the conversation between Sana and Roseanne replaying itself over and over until Y/n is thrown back again into her childhood, sitting in a corner, cowering in fear. “Jihyo is just a friend. You know that.” Is what she ends up saying.

“How would I know?” Sana quietly asks. “It’s not like I can demand answers from you. We’re not together, right?”

This is the first time Sana has explicitly brought up the issue and Y/n is glad she has never before; it makes her heart drop into her stomach, fear shooting up her spine like lightning.

Why is Sana doing this now?

Y/n is about to ask, but then it hits her.

Roseanne.

All those things she said to Sana in that bedroom yesterday, they got to her.

She’s done running circles around her and she’s done waiting for Y/n’s okay for literally anything she does. Maybe she was done a long time ago, and Roseanne gave her the push she needed to face Y/n like this.

“I wouldn’t do that to you.” Y/n tries to calm down. She’s an adult. She needs to handle this like an adult. She’s not a child anymore, she can’t cover her eyes and ears and hum a lullaby to herself and pretend bad things aren’t happening around her.

For a moment, Sana’s eyes soften, and the familiar fond look is back but she closes them and shakes her head, her shoulders slumping. “You tell her more things than you tell me. I feel like—I feel like she knows you better than I do even though we both met you at the same time. It makes me feel like shit.”

“Sana—”

“Do you not trust me enough to tell me those things?”

“That’s not it.” Y/n shakes her head, closing her eyes.

Sana studies her face for a while, her tongue darting out to wet her lips. “Why did you avoid me the whole night?”

Because your best friend is in love with you and she kept looking at me like I was tearing her heart out.

“Why didn’t you tell Roseanne about us?” Y/n finds herself asking back. “You couldn’t even hold my hand in front of her yesterday.”

Sana opens her mouth and closes it again, clearly at a loss for words. “What should I have told her? That I’m hanging out with a random girl who I occasionally kiss and hold hands with?”

Y/n flinches. Sana’s face falls, but she doesn’t apologize or take her words back.

Silence engulfs them. A heavy and suffocating silence that presses down on Y/n’s shoulders and chest to make her feel even smaller.