Chapter 10 - Quilters, Huh?

[Kate]

We huddled in the atrium, hiding behind the greenery, John at my side as we peered at the security camera footage on my com-viewer. I was tempted to grab a bright red fruit from the hydroponic tomato vine that towered over me, but two mercenaries in black uniforms came our way. Shera stood on one side of the wide hatch and her station security colleague Cory on the other, holding up stunner handguns that they found locked away at the detention center. Silently, John held up two fingers, then turned them down and wiggled them, indicating two enemies walked our way. Firming her lips, Shera nodded in reply.

It surprised me how well the marine training came back, as if part of me. Counterproductive emotions — fear, doubt, selfishness — were locked away.

The two mercenaries never knew what hit them. As soon as they crossed the hatch threshold, two rapid pops of the stunner guns put them down like others before them. On cue, some from our rag-tag army of Ark Hope crew and station security staff dragged the unconscious mercenaries away to the detention cells, and we collected their weapons, adding to our arsenal.

Val deserved a medal. The intel from the station security cameras she provided gave us an enormous tactical advantage, more than overcoming our lack of firepower. Already, we had cleared this sector of the enemy.

A text came in.

Harley: At the jail now with Mona.

Kate: Good.

John looked over my shoulder and wrinkled his forehead. "Who's Harley and Mona?"

"Two of the women from the Quilters Guild," I answered. "Harley knows the station inner hull passages and Mona is a med tech. She'll help treat the wounded."

Several of our group were injured in the initial invasion and needed attention. I found new respect for Mona. She never seemed the type to jump into conflict, but there she was.

"Quilters, huh?" A rare chuckle escaped John's lips as he stood. Waving a hand, he announced, "Gather 'round."

As the others assembled, John turned toward me. "Anything more from Eric and Cassy?"

Glancing again at my com-viewer, I shook my head. "No. They are still out of com network range." Dread swirled in my gut. If they fail, countless on the planet below may die, and the bad guys might even turn a missile on the station.

"Well, if anyone can take out those missiles, it's those two." John replied, addressing my silent fear.

John stepped up on a small crate, his eyes scanning across the nineteen who gathered around him — eleven men and eight women, including me. "Good work everyone. We have achieved our first objective. The next won't be so easy, which is to secure a port for the marines to dock. They will be here in about," he glanced down at my com-viewer, "about six hours."

John paused and continued in a softer voice. "I know none of you signed up for this, so if anyone wants to drop out, do so now." His steeled blue eyes passed across the group.

"We're with you, Captain," a fellow ark crewman grunted, speaking for the others.

I had always marveled at John's commanding presence, first as Major 'Storm' long ago in the marines and then as Captain Greer of the Ark Hope, one of his qualities that attracted me. But it was more than just toughness and strong voice — he also earned respect by demonstrating fairness, caring, and unflinching integrity. Those he commanded would follow him to the gates of Hell.

"Very good," John said, nodding. "First, I'll need two volunteers to fall back to the detention center to help secure it as our rear base. And now that this sector is clear, help check on the civilians sheltered in their quarters."