five. it lives in me

Start from the beginning

Zlatan steps down from the stage and the pair's eyes follow him to a tent across the square. Arken steps out, talking inaudibly to him before shaking his hand. The two Crows look to each other at the same time, quickly turning to melt back into the crowd.

They find Inej looking up at a tall wall, her hands held behind her back. A monument with hundreds of names inscribed into the stone. Victims of the Fold. She turns at the sound of Kaz's cane on the cobblestone, smiling when she sees the goat in the blonde girl's arms.

"He's adorable." Inej says, Malakai beams with pride.

"Don't get attached like this one has." Kaz looked to the girl as well. "I didn't think I'd have to specify no detours to you."

"Even if just a few minutes could end a life time of questions?"

"Your parents are Suli. They don't cross the Fold. They go around."

"I just thought... that if I saw their names on there, I could let the idea of them go. This thing?" Inej pulls the stitched necklace from under her layers. "This was all that I had when I was sold to the Menagerie. Kaz this is all that I have left of them. Unless—"

"Hope is dangerous. It clouds your judgement. Pray, scream, do whatever you have to do to push this out of your mind and move on. We all have debts to pay."

Malakai stared blankly at Kaz, pushing the goat into his arms. He steps away, watching from a distance.

"One minute." She signs to him.

Malakai turns to Inej who still stares blankly at the wall, she places a caring hand on her shoulder.

"What are their names? I'll help you look." Inej smiled at the softly spoken girl.

Walking through the darkness, three of the Crows follow the Conductor who holds a flaming torch.

"Just a little further."

They pass a sign that makes Malakai's eyes go wide, abruptly turning to look at her friends.

"Land mines?" Inej questions the man who continues forward without hesitation.

Kaz holds both hands out to his side, stopping the girls from following. "We'll wait. Follow the path that you carve."

Arken stops in his tracks. "Oh, that sign, that was my idea to keep people away. Can't be too careful. We're fine. Come."

The trio raise their eyebrows at one another before Inej continues forward. Malakai goes to follow but Kaz holds his cane against her torso stopping her. He steps ahead of her, following Arken and Inej into the dark. The blonde girl swallows, holding the goat closer to her body for warmth before rushing forward to catch up.

Thunder boomed ominously ahead of them. The familiar pressure returns to the back of Malakai's skull. The realisation of the daunting journey ahead begins sinking in for her, taking deep breaths.

"It's one thing hearing about it, but this is—" Inej starts before the Conductor interrupts.

"Nothing compared to what lies within."