~ 9.

>> nine – guess who's back <<

— — — ———————— — — —

"ARE YOU entirely sure you want to do this?" Alfred questioned me as I slung my files bag over my shoulder. I had gotten a message from Boss later that day saying if I didn't go back, I'd lose my job and title.

"I'm sure Alfred. Besides, I'll be fine! I've nearly healed fully up and I'm not in a lot of pain anymore." I stated, smiling. He sighed and nodded, giving me a shoulder pat.

"Just phone me if anything goes wrong." I nod and hug him. Same reaction as Dick. Tensed up, relaxed a while later. He pat my back and bid me goodbye. I smiled and left, shutting the large door behind me. My Mercedes was still parked outside, but was covered in fallen leaves from the big tree above.

I hopped in and looked up at the massive house. Zeus was in the window, wagging his tail with his mouth ajar and tounge sticking out. I giggled and waved him goodbye, pulling out of my parking spot and driving off to work. Once again.

— — ——— — —

"I'm back!" I spoke in a sing-song tone when I opened the door. Everyone's heads turned to face me. Some were shocked, others were thrilled and a handful looked mildly annoyed. When I walked past, people said hello and welcome back, I simply thanked them and sat down at my desk. I've missed this.

Kath was stood by the coffee maker talking with another detective. She was definitely flirting, she was flirting back by the looks of things. I've only talked to her a few times between cases and lunch, but that's about it. I'm sure she's told me her name.

Clarisa? Clare? Cassandra?

I don't know, but it started with a 'c'. Kath laughed and waved the 'c' lady goodbye, walking back over with a coffee cup in hand. I tried not to smirk at her and went off to file the reports I found on my computer.

"Who was that you were talking to?" I questioned her over my shoulder. I heard her gasp quietly and sigh.

"Jesus, Mia. Give me a heartattack why don't you?" I smiled and glanced at Jackson William's file.

"Sorry. But you haven't answered my question."

Her chair squeaked as it turned around, "her name's Christine." There we go.

"Jones?" Kath hummed.

"I thought she was in LA on a case?"

"Got back early, she was telling me all about it. She's so great." I smirked and turned around to see Kath swooning in her chair, daydreaming at the ceiling. I chuckled and snapped my fingers in front of her face.

"Keep your head here daydreamer. We've got a convict in today that I have to interview in..." I trailed off as I looked at the clock on my computer.

10:49am

"...about 10 minutes. He's involved with that Croatian gang from you known where and what night. I suspect he's the ring leader or atleast one of them from higher ups and different groups." I turned back around and flipped through his file. Murder images. Suspects who have been rules off. Extra info about the poor kid and his supposed killers. Everything I might need to hold against this guy.