Chapter 9 - Happiness

Their arms intertwined, Akash and Sandhya took a pleasant walk on the trail by the river as the sun slowly disappeared behind the mountains.

"Let's get back to our car before it gets too dark," Akash said.

Akash drove down the mountain and stopped at a restaurant. They settled in an outdoor dining area, enjoying the moonlight by the river. A couple of young girls giggled amongst themselves as they checked out Akash, irritating Sandhya. She observed him; he was an attractive man, perhaps the definition of 'hot.' One couldn't blame the girls but couldn't they see that she was with him? She grabbed his hand and glanced at the girls. It worked, she thought, smiling.

Akash glanced sideways towards the girls and let out a chuckle.

Damn...I get caught so easily, Sandhya mused to herself.

After dinner, they walked on a local street with various vendors on the roadside. Sandhya stopped by a stall where an old lady was selling exquisitely designed glass bangles that seemed to be priced low for what they were truly worth. She picked up a beautiful set of red bangles and started to open her purse to pay.

"What are you doing? How could you think about paying when I am around?" Akash shouted, pulling his wallet out. Taken aback, she stood still, not liking that he had shouted at her in public. Why should it matter who paid?

"Fine, pay for it," she replied curtly. Akash dug through his wallet and cursed, realizing there was no change left. He looked around for an ATM station nearby.

She pleaded, "Akash, why does this bother you so much? Your money or my money, it doesn't matter to me. Please let me pay."

Akash looked at her, disturbed. "Fine." He gave in.

Sandhya handed over the money, took the bangles and put them in her purse with glee.

He was silent as they walked towards the secluded area where the car was parked.

"Why does this bother you so much?" she asked, trying to shake off the silence.

It was a few seconds before he replied in a low voice, "You wanted something for the first time, and I couldn't give it to you. I wonder if I can make you happy."

Sandhya halted, bewildered. "You..." Her voice broke off as she tried to find the right words to make him understand how absurdly he was thinking.

"You...will never know what you have given me, Akash. It's something that I cannot explain or show you," she replied, her words quivering with the emotions running within her.

"You have given me genuine love and affection. A sense of belonging for which I have been yearning for I do not remember how long." She took his hands within hers and continued, "So please, don't think this way. I would never want to be the cause of misery in your life. If you want me to be happy, then don't give yourself painful thoughts because it will pain me more."

He stared into her eyes in understanding.

"As you say, sweetie," he replied, his lips curling up in a gentle smile.

Once inside the car, Sandhya took out the bangles from her purse, removed the wrapper and touched them with her fingers.

"They match your sari. Wear them now."

She looked at him in amusement. "Do you always make a habit of bossing people around or is it just with me?" she asked with fake anger.

He raised his eyebrows in surprise. "I can and would be bossy around anything that's mine," he replied with mock arrogance. Sandhya rolled her eyes and let out a sigh. Guess she had to live under his command for the rest of her life. The thought made her smile.