Chapter 7 - Love

Sandhya stood still, her heart beating rapidly, her stunned and angry eyes not leaving Akash, as if she needed to be prepared for his next attack. He looked more shocked than angry now. His eyes softened.

"Sandhya." He took a step towards her with one hand outstretched.

Sandhya held her hand in front of her. Akash halted.

"Just leave me alone. Get out of here!" she screamed.

Akash's expression changed into an infuriated one.

He's going to hurt me again! her mind warned.

He stood still, staring at her. "Why are you doing this, Sandhya?" he asked grimly.

"What! What did I do?"

"Why don't you want us to be together?"

"This is not the time to talk about it. Leave!" she demanded as she sprang to the door and opened it. Akash pounced at the door at the same time and slammed it shut, his hand over hers as it held the knob.

"Like it or not, I am not going anywhere until we talk," he hissed with his face close to her.

"I already told you what I had to," she replied, trying to hide her panic. Her body shivered, ever since he was near her again. He still seemed furious, and she had no clue what he would do next.

"I am not going to hurt you, Sandhya. I just have to talk to you," he asserted, still looking at her.

Sandhya slowly freed her hands from under his and took a step away from him. It was obvious that he wouldn't leave her without getting her explanation. Her body trembled in shock and fear. Suddenly, Akash left her and walked into the kitchen as she stood still, trying to understand what he was doing. He came back with two glasses of water.

"Here, have water first."

Sandhya took the water reluctantly and took a few sips.

"Sit on the sofa," he ordered.

Sandhya did not know why, but she followed his instructions and sat on the sofa with the water.

Akash stood a couple of feet away and slowly finished his water, taking deep breaths. A few minutes passed in silence as their minds relaxed. He knelt before her, his eyes looking straight at her. He was closer to his original self now. She felt uncomfortable with him sitting there with his gaze on her but weirdly, she was not angry or afraid of him now. She looked away.

"You need to understand, Sandhya. I am not able to let you go from my thoughts. I need to know why. I thought you liked me. I thought you wanted me like I want you in my life. But I could be wrong."

She stared at him with discomfort.

"These two days were no less than hell for me. I thought that what I had for you was attraction, nothing more. But I got some time to think and straighten my thoughts. Now I know for sure what I want. But I need to know what you want."

"Tell me that you don't like me. Tell me that you don't want me or that I am not worthy enough for you. Whatever may be the reason, I need to know to let you go.

"I am not sure if I can let you go even if I want to, especially after...after how I behaved a few minutes ago. But I will ensure that I won't bother you again. I will take up another job and leave here," he said in an agonized tone.

A sudden fear crept within Sandhya as his words sank in. She stared into his pained eyes, knowing that he meant what he said. He would go away, forever. The thought was unbearable; it torched her within as if life itself would be moving away from her, leaving her with no spirit or soul.