Fool

Lisa touched her neck out of habit. Her necklace was gone

She panicked immediately.

It was taken off since it hindered the operation. Jennie placed it in the inner pocket of the overcoat and hung the coat nearby.

But Lisa wasn't aware. She called for the nurse, "Where is my ring?"

Naturally, the nurse didn't know about the ring. And with Lisa desparately asking without the slightest calm, they could only look at each other in dismay.

Lisa was so anxious to the point that she was turning crazy, but she couldn't do anything. The nurse pressed her back down on the bed as someone called Jennie.

Lisa covered her head with the blanket. From the outside, I could see her trembling. I thought she was crying.

I have never seen Lisa so distressed before. Or rather, I have never seen her be so distressed because of me that she was unable to vent.

Right now, I was like an oyster. The pearl I protected so painstakingly for many years was extracted out after I died and willfully worn. Although I was so distressed to the point of going crazy, I had no way to put it back in my shell to take care of again.

I was right beside her, but I wasn't even able to hug her when she was trying so hard to stifle her sobs.

I hated how powerless I was.

Jennie rushed to the hospital in the afternoon. After listening to the doctor and the nurse's complaints, she reached into the pocket of the coat and took out the necklace with the ring, handing it to Lisa.

By now, Lisa had already calmed down. She silently took the necklace and wore it. Then she closed her eyes and no longer spoke.

I saw the boundary she set clearly. She had cruelly left Jennie outside that boundary of her world.

Her world was already pitch black, even Jennie's radiance wasn't able to shine through.

Even though Lisa treated Jennie like this, Jennie still stayed by her side and quietly took care of her.

Lisa was soon discharged, but she kept staying at home. She wasn't active, didn't pick up any calls, and didn't meet anyone.

"You haven't eaten for the entire day. Have some milk." Jennie carried a coffee cup filled with warm milk to Lisa.

Lisa had been ignoring Jennie's consolation for the whole day, but she suddenly moved when she saw the cup of milk.

Only I understood.

I didn't know why Jennie had used the coffee cup to hold the milk. This had been a habit of mine, or should I say, a weird habit I purposefully took on. I had gladly and pretentiously thought this was a little secret between Lisa and I.

I long knew that I had to leave Lisa one day, so I purposely had some weird habits that were different from others. After we separated, even if she couldn't remember me, she might still remember those weird habits of mine.

Sadly, I realized that this habit wasn't exclusive to me.

Lisa sat up obediently and took the cup of milk.

The steam coming off the milk was so hot it fogged her eyes.

She drank a few mouthfuls of it.

I saw tears hang at the corner of her eyes. She wasn't able to hold them back, so she cried silently.

Jennie didn't know what she had done wrong when she saw Lisa's tears and was clueless on what to do.

I finally understood why I was still here to watch everything.

The eighteen levels of hell that people always talked about were all about physical torture.

I was starting to wonder if the place I was at now was the real hell.

There was no physical pain, only my heart being tormented as if it was stabbed by knives.

God didn't forget me, and neither was she giving me a trial. She was mocking me and gloating at my misfortune as I suffered in hell, the place I was standing at now.

She mocked that I've been making mistakes for my entire life, mocked that I had given up on my precious life so easily, and mocked that I had selfishly dragged everyone into my unfortunate life.

She was probably mocking the unwillingness, helplessness, and weakness I was feeling right now.

She didn't let me speak or act. I could only watch as the tragedy played out.

What else could happen next?

I didn't know, and I didn't dare to think about it.

Half a month quickly passed by, and it was already March. The snow had melted and was replaced by green.

Despite that, the place that contained the happy and painful memories of my entire life was still cold and freezing.

Lisa had already ditched half a month of work. Things were getting troublesome, and the company had already given her a severe ultimatum.

Despite that, she still lay half-dead on the sofa. She was listless and just stared off into space.

Jennie tried her best for that half a month, but her efforts were all in vain. She wasn't able to do anything and could only worry for Lisa.

Lisa had been feeling extremely dejected and had to be taken care of by Jennie even though Jennie was busy with her work. If Jennie wasn't around, Lisa might just turn into mold without anyone realizing.

I also had no idea how much Jennie had to speak for Lisa and help her make connections in the company.

I was no longer the director. She could no longer do whatever she wanted without fear. Now that it was Oh Sehun in power, he would definitely not let Lisa do whatever she wanted.

Jennie kept staying by Lisa's side and supported her silently.

I had to admit that I couldn't win against her.

Jennie was much more perfect, stronger, and greater than me. Lisa should know that even though what she had done to me was wrong, it was already too late. If she didn't treasure Jennie who was by her side now, it would only lead to another irreparable mistake.

'Appreciate the person before you'. It was such a simple principle, yet Lisa remained dimwitted and just didn't get it.

Jennie was once someone who wore the sunlight on her body and was bright. However, she was dimming because of Lisa.

It really was a nightmare. I was already awake, but I still didn't understand why everything had changed. Everyone's life suddenly became dark and gloomy.

I was stupid and didn't have any complex thoughts. Initially, I had only thought that after I ended my life, everyone would become happy.

I had thought that if I was gone, Sehun and Rosé wouldn't have to see me secretly cry everyday. They wouldn't have to contact all the various hospitals and donors and become so worn out searching for that glimmer of hope. Jennie wouldn't have to look at me with guilt everyday, not daring to snatch Lisa away from me because of her gratitude for me even though she clearly liked Lisa. Lisa would finally be able to do what she wanted and like who she truly liked.

What happened in the end? I had caused Sehun to lose all hope, I had made Rosé sad, and had caused Lisa and Jennie to sink into the abyss of guilt and remorse.

I always knew that the fluttering wings of a butterfly could cause a ripple effect. But I never expected to be a foolish butterfly that would cause a hurricane, resulting in such a tragedy.

In the end, the foolish butterfly received its retribution. It had to watch everything happen, yet wasn't able to return to the days of the past.

—■—