Chapter 3

Over time, my fear had turned into anger. Derek had been playing games with my head.  Maybe he had the whole thing on tape. He was probably just trying to scare me. I never even volunteered to tutor him. I wouldn't have even thought of it. For a week, he texted me excuses and I ignored him but he eventually cornered me.

   It was a period before lunch and I was leaning on a wall and waiting for Melody and Jay to show up so we could go to geography class. When they finally showed up, we began to walk to class.

    "So where were you last week?" Melody asked.

    "You didn't get my message?" I asked her.

    " What message?"

     "I said I was tutoring Derek Fuller. The new kid?" I explained. I told her I didn't want to talk about it but she's Melody.

    "Oh him. He's kinda cute. Not to mention hot! His eyes are so grey"

    " keep it in your pants would you?" I teased

Then I noticed Derek walking towards us. He was staring at me and cutting through the crowd in the hallway. I immediately turned around and started walking the opposite direction. He kept following me... and he was catching up. Finally he gripped onto my arm and pulled me with him into the janitors closet. Finally he let go. I rubbed on the spot he gripped me.

       " Ugh! What do you want from me?" I asked in disgust

       " I'm sorry." he said

       " For?"

       "For ditching you" he said

       " That's not even half of it." I said, trying to leave. He held my arm and pulled me back. I pulled my arm away and rubbed on the spot.

      " Quit doing that!" I yelled

He held his hand over my mouth to quiet me then he placed a finger on his lips. I calmed down then swatted away his hand.

     " Just let me explain" he said.

     "There's nothing to explain but I do want to know why you ditched me at your own house."

     " You wouldn't believe me if I told you but i'm starting to think I can't do this if you don't know."

     "Try me" I said folding and arms and took a step closer.

     " You won't."

     " No, seriously. I want to hear what you've got to say." I pressed on. He looked at me for a moment before letting out a long breath.

     " Okay." He said, holding a mop

      " Go on" I urged. Silence

Silence..

Silence..

Silence..

"Okay then. I didn't move to this town because my dad got a new job or to get some kind of fresh start. I'm Imago. Im a ghost and my soul has been unable to rest because somehow even though you were born 50 years after me, you're connected to the reason why I can't leave." He finally said. "So I had to run an errand" he continues casually.

I looked for and signs of humor on his face but there wasn't. I did what anyone in my situation would do.. I burst into laughter. I was laughing so hard I started tearing up.  I looked up at him. He looked hurt.

    " What, is that a joke or something? I asked laughing.  I held my sides. Finally I stopped laughing and wiped my tears. "I'm sorry, that was rude. Is that your band name or something? You didn't have to ditch me for band practice" I chuckled.

     "You don't believe me. of course you don't" He said, looking hurt.

     "Look, Derek" I said, placing a hand on his shoulder "No one would believe that. Your just a normal teenage boy. I understand, everyone wants a bit of fantasy in their lives." I air quoted 'fantasy'

    " How many teenage boys can walk through walls?" He asked.

The sudden feeling of dread filled the room. I felt my hairs rise and the room turn cold. He eyes turned to sad hollow pits. Drawing me into nothingness.

  I raised an eyebrow at him. He walked straight through the janitors closet wall and came back in through the door. My eyes widened in fear. 

   " How many teenage boys can levitate?" He asked as he floated through the ceiling. Then the door opened and he walked in. I crouched in a corner. I was scared. I pinched myself. Maybe I was in a dream. Maybe I could wake up. I had gone through my whole life being scared of ghosts and now there was one right before me. They were cold. They were real.

    " Please don't hurt me" I managed to squeak.

    " I'm not gonna hurt you" He crouched down besides me.

    " Just leave me alone. Please." I begged. The bell rang but I was still crouched up in the corner. It was silent for a while and I was too afraid to open my eyes. When I finally did it, he was gone.