Chapter 2

"Hi" I said loud enough to make him hear. he didn't reply. Probably knows about my car, I thought. "I'm Avery" I said, trying again. He still didn't reply. I stopped trying and began to tap my pencil on my desk.

I started thinking of the naked incident, I still hadn't come up with a solid excuse for that. I groaned and let my head fall to the table.

The bell rang and people began to flood the class. Alaric locks eyes with me for a few seconds,shakes his head and grins as he takes his seat.  I felt awkward and I sank into my chair. The teacher walked into the lab and I sighed in relief. Suit boy sat still. Weird.

"There's a new student with us today", the biology teacher announced. "Derek, please come out and introduce yourself."

He gets up and walked to the front of the class.

"Go on." she urged

He leaned over and whispered into her ear then she ordered him to sit down. I wasn't really paying attention in the class. I just stared out the window or sometimes at the fish in its bowl on the teachers desk.

"Does anyone know what cells are?" The teacher asked. I crossed my fingers. 'Please dont pick me' I chanted several times in my head. "Avery Sommers." she said looking in my direction. I put on a fake smile. Just my luck!

"They are the smallest units of life." I answered.

"I'm glad you know that because I've picked you to tutor Derek Fuller for a month... so he can catch up" I groaned and let my head fall to the table..again. I couldn't protest. compared to the rest of the class i was the only one who actually knew what the word homework meant. I heard snickers from the class and murmurs "nerd" , "weirdo". What is it with these people! So what? I was good at Biology. Shoot me.

I noticed Derek staring at me. I smiled and waved a little. He tilted his head like he didn't understand then he let a crooked smile play in his lips.

He was actually cute..but then again so is every new kid

The whole period passed with a flash. I pretended to read my textbook while I doodled on its pages. The bell rang for period over and I stood to leave the class. Derek didn't move from his seat. I was about to go to my locker when I realized I didn't have his phone number or his house address. I made my way to the lab through the flooded hallway.

When I entered back inside the lab, he was gone. I must have missed him, I thought.  I went back to my locker. When I opened it, a note fell out. I picked it up. It was written in clean, clear cursive.  An address and a phone number.  Then a signature that said Derek.

I quickly saved his number to my phone contacts.

I set a personal reminder to visit him to talk about out lesson plan.

                *   *   *  *   *   *   *   *  *  

I stared at his house in disbelief.  It was Huge!  but it looked very old. I pushed against the gate. It was rusted. I looked at my hands.. they had red rust on them. I dusted them on my jeans.

The lawn was overgrown. With wild lavender flowers growing everywhere. Every window had curtains pulled over it like no one was home. I climbed up some stairs to the porch and faced the large oak doors. They were way taller than me. It had a brass knocker with the symbol of the sun on it. I knocked thrice and waited for someone to open the doors. I searched around the doors for a door bell but it was just a knocker. Way to go old school Playboy.